Pc turns on on its own.

Reaction score
In the last two weeks I can walk by my desktop pc and it is off BUT a little later it turns on by itself. How can this happen???
System built three years ago. Windows 10 updates regularly. Asus Maximus XI Extreme motherboard. i9-9900k processor.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
PS: Windows fast start IS NOT turned on. Also a couple weeks ago I updated both Bios's in my system.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As an experiment, save your work, close any open programs, then copy and paste the following command
Code:
shutdown /p /f
you can use an Admin command prompt, Admin power shell, or simply use the RUN dialog box

Let is sit and see if it magically restarts at some point (as you describe above).

Reaction score
As an experiment, save your work, close any open programs, then copy and paste the following command
Code:
shutdown /p /f
you can use an Admin command prompt, Admin power shell, or simply use the RUN dialog box

Let is sit and see if it magically restarts at some point (as you describe above).
Thanks. I did as requested and, so far, it stays off, but remember, this was over a two week period so I will keep an eye on it.
What does the /P and /F do.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I will keep an eye on it.
Great..... keep us posted.
What does the /P and /F do.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you for the list of commands. So far, the computer has not turned on, but I still need more time to confirm.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Also check the bios ,this may be a wild goose chase, but, it may be turned on in the bios to power up every weekday at a specific time.

Reaction score
While I was on vacation I turned the computer off with the rear switch. Two days after I returned it turned on again. I went to Phanteks support and they suggested a new power switch. I ordered it. When it arrives I will install it and see what happens. (for Windows User) Since the day is not the same when it turns on it will not be a bios problem.

Ad

Advertisements

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since the day is not the same when it turns on it will not be a bios problem.
IF by that you mean, that when the computer starts after having been deprived of AC power, then...
That would probably indicate that you have a bad CMOS battery.
Additionally, there is likely a setting in the BIOS that dictates the devices behavior after recovering from a power outage.
Usually this is set to "remain off" but it could be just as easily set to "power on".

IF the motherboard CMOS battery is bad, then when power is supplied, the BIOS is likely reverting to some default settings which likely includes date, time and startup behavior upon receiving adequate power.

You'll likely only see this when the computer is cut off from AC power by using the power supply switch, an in-line switch on a power strip or unplugging it from the wall.
Otherwise, the motherboard remains in a warm state when the computer is turned off normally and doesn't rely on the CMOS battery to maintain BIOS settings.

Ask a Question