SOLVED Pc turns on on its own.

Reaction score
In the last two weeks I can walk by my desktop pc and it is off BUT a little later it turns on by itself. How can this happen???
System built three years ago. Windows 10 updates regularly. Asus Maximus XI Extreme motherboard. i9-9900k processor.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Reaction score
PS: Windows fast start IS NOT turned on. Also a couple weeks ago I updated both Bios's in my system.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As an experiment, save your work, close any open programs, then copy and paste the following command
Code:
shutdown /p /f
you can use an Admin command prompt, Admin power shell, or simply use the RUN dialog box

Let is sit and see if it magically restarts at some point (as you describe above).

Reaction score
As an experiment, save your work, close any open programs, then copy and paste the following command
Code:
shutdown /p /f
you can use an Admin command prompt, Admin power shell, or simply use the RUN dialog box

Let is sit and see if it magically restarts at some point (as you describe above).
Thanks. I did as requested and, so far, it stays off, but remember, this was over a two week period so I will keep an eye on it.
What does the /P and /F do.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I will keep an eye on it.
Great..... keep us posted.
What does the /P and /F do.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you for the list of commands. So far, the computer has not turned on, but I still need more time to confirm.

Reaction score
Also check the bios ,this may be a wild goose chase, but, it may be turned on in the bios to power up every weekday at a specific time.

Reaction score
While I was on vacation I turned the computer off with the rear switch. Two days after I returned it turned on again. I went to Phanteks support and they suggested a new power switch. I ordered it. When it arrives I will install it and see what happens. (for Windows User) Since the day is not the same when it turns on it will not be a bios problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since the day is not the same when it turns on it will not be a bios problem.
IF by that you mean, that when the computer starts after having been deprived of AC power, then...
That would probably indicate that you have a bad CMOS battery.
Additionally, there is likely a setting in the BIOS that dictates the devices behavior after recovering from a power outage.
Usually this is set to "remain off" but it could be just as easily set to "power on".

IF the motherboard CMOS battery is bad, then when power is supplied, the BIOS is likely reverting to some default settings which likely includes date, time and startup behavior upon receiving adequate power.

You'll likely only see this when the computer is cut off from AC power by using the power supply switch, an in-line switch on a power strip or unplugging it from the wall.
Otherwise, the motherboard remains in a warm state when the computer is turned off normally and doesn't rely on the CMOS battery to maintain BIOS settings.

Reaction score
Actually - though this may have nothing to do with your problem - my computer was doing the same thing. Cause? A mouse that caused activation and startup when moved. Walking across the floor of our office apparently moved the mouse just enough to cause startup.

Reaction score
In the last two weeks I can walk by my desktop pc and it is off BUT a little later it turns on by itself. How can this happen???
System built three years ago. Windows 10 updates regularly. Asus Maximus XI Extreme motherboard. i9-9900k processor.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Reaction score
Check the BIOS.

Look for wake on LAN, mouse, etc.

Also look for turn on at specified time.

Reaction score
Any ideas.
Thanks

I used top have this problem after every major Win 10 update. The stupid thing would ALWAYS screw up ALL my personalisation, my USB and Ethernet settings and change them to allow any external action to power it on. Go into bios AND control panel and change these to NOT power on the PC. That at least was my solution and it worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So as to perhaps clear up any confusion... especially mine.

Doesn't the use of the term "WAKE" imply a condition other than a power off state?
In order for me to "WAKE" something, doesn't it necessarily have to be asleep, hibernating (perhaps hybrid sleep) or some other power saving condition and not actually powered off?

Reaction score
Not really. Actually the PC system is completely powered off when either "powered off" or "hibernated". That is what I do with my PC. Never used a laptop, EVER. In my case I leave the WOL - Wake on Lan" option as available since the main power switch had become dicey and can't find one to replace it nor can I justify changing the cabinet for that switch alone. So wake it from my phone with "Unified Remote Server" . Works like a charm. The difference is that when waking (powering on) from the "hibernate" state the Windows Boot Menu or BCD is not offered and goes straight into "as last state".

Reaction score
So as to perhaps clear up any confusion... especially mine.

Doesn't the use of the term "WAKE" imply a condition other than a power off state?
In order for me to "WAKE" something, doesn't it necessarily have to be asleep, hibernating (perhaps hybrid sleep) or some other power saving condition and not actually powered off?
Yes. Some part of the PC is not fully powered off & is monitoring the environment for a wake-up signal.
If you physically disconnect the power supply (& removed laptop battery) it should not be able to wake-up.
If there is some power available, then shutdown does not necessarily mean what you think it means.
Similar to your TV or hi-Fi that has been turned off but responds to a remote.

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with the last two computers that I owned. Both were Dells. I'd shut the thing down and overnight it turned itself on again. It began on Day One on both computers. I had not used either one extensively. I merely set them up, went online for a few minutes and checked my email. I called the manufacturer who did whatever they do to access my computer from India. They checked it out and told me that I had a virus called Torpig. They said that they could do nothing about it. I ran every malware I could find. I'd unplug the computer for a few days, use it as usual and turn it off. It persisted. After a few weeks of unplugging after every use, it finally stopped.

I never figured out the problem. If I really had that virus, it came from the manufacturer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
shutdown does not necessarily mean what you think it means.
Let me explain something for everyone and I will say no more on this topic, because I hate all things power saver related (sleep, suspend, hibernate, hybrid sleep, etc., etc.,).

IF you do something, anything and the result of having done that thing, produces anything but the Manufacturer's Splash Screen, The Motherboard Splash Screen, or some rudimentary BIOS information on your display, then....

YOUR COMPUTER WAS NOT PREVIOUSLY OFF

Ther is not subtlety to OFF, there is no nuance to OFF.
OFF is OFF
Anything other than that is not OFF, but rather some version of somebody's idea of OFF via suspension

Reaction score
While I was on vacation I turned the computer off with the rear switch. Two days after I returned it turned on again. I went to Phanteks support and they suggested a new power switch. I ordered it. When it arrives I will install it and see what happens. (for Windows User) Since the day is not the same when it turns on it will not be a bios problem.
I got the power button assembly and installed it ( three hours to do). After a couple weeks I will report back.

Reaction score
Any ideas.
Thanks
Hi Denny G.
You might want to look into the possibility that your mouse, trackball or similar device could be moving a bit.
I have a laser trackball with no padding under it, such as a mouse pad, & have found that a slight vibration of my desk, even just walking by, sometimes causes the computer to restart when in the sleep mode. I guess that the thumb-ball just might be in a position that even a slight vibration causes it to move just enough?

Capt_Jim

Ask a Question