SOLVED Preview Build 18252

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ted...
Moved your post from the other location into this thread I had on this latest upgrade preview build.
Before I even saw your post in the other thread.
So..... now you're the "Thread Starter" on this one.

October 3, 2018 10:07 am
Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18252 (19H1) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring AND those who have opted in to Skip Ahead.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
  • We fixed the issue causing Task Manager to report inaccurate CPU usage.
  • We fixed the issue where the arrows to expand “Background processes” in Task Manager blink constantly and weirdly.
It'd be nice if they would fix these in the RTM they just released.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18252/

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got it installed.
Seems like we're back to the process taking some extra time.
Other than that it looks like pretty much a yawn so far.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Got it on 1 yesterday, time to check the other for its finishing. It also seemed to take longer than the last couple.

Reaction score
I am having trouble cloning this using Macrium Reflect which has worked perfectly until now. Is this build bad?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am having trouble cloning this using Macrium Reflect which has worked perfectly until now. Is this build bad?
No way to be certain, although I wouldn't expect it to be any worse than other builds in this early timeline.
Unfortunately, I don't use Macrium Reflect, nor do I ever clone.
Typically, when you clone, you clone a physical drive / partition (not a build or Operating System). I normally use Acronis to create images and I haven't attempt that on this latest build yet.
I will get right on that as soon as I get back home just to test and see if it presents any such problem.

Reaction score
Tried with several different hard drives and even reinstalled Macrium with the same result. I think what caused this is Microsoft "Dirty tricks division". I was finally able to install Windows Store successfully. I have had trouble with some other Microsoft software that changed my disk partitions. I was able to fix this before but now I am baffled. I bought Windows 8 Home when it was new and since have updated to 8.1 and then 10. There was a time when Windows 10 would not work and I downloaded an older version Windows 10 Pro. I have been running on Pro all this time I have been an insider although I really prefer the Home version. Naturally my license is not correct for Pro. Not a problem when I am an insider except when I download free Microsoft programs. I suspect this code checks for valid license and then does a simple disable for my computer. The first time was easy to fix but this time nothing works. My computer seems to work ok except for my cloning software.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does Macrium allow you to produce bootable rescue media?
IF so have you tried booting to that to accomplish your task?
That would pretty much take the OS out of the equation.

Are you getting any worthwhile errors when you attempt the task?

Reaction score
I tried everything I could think of to get this fixed but ended up downloading EaseUS Partition Master. I was finally able to make 2 backups after a little trouble. It works offline so is more robust. This software does not use the original partitions on the backup drive but instead divides the remaining space on the drive after loading the boot partition into 3 partitions that split the free space to each partition. Not the expected result and probably not as good but it boots ok. I think 18252 is at fault here.

Reaction score
I have removed 18252 from all of my drives. Nothing but trouble and even many times when it would not boot. I consider what I got to be malware. Using 17763 now with no problems and Macrium works fine.

Ask a Question