Print Spooler Issue?

Reaction score
I have what may be a print spooler or print queue problem. I have two network printers connected, a HP Lazerjet pro 400 (M401dne) and a HP Officejet Pro 8610. I am unable to print on the 8610 by sending documents to the printer. I can print an internal (?) test page using print and scan doctor but not directly.

I can communicate with the printer, scan documents and save directly on my PC. I can print to the M401 without any problem.

I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it twice but it will not print. I can open the print que and see documents arrive as I send them to print but they disappear in a few seconds from the queue, but do not print.

The print spooler is running. I've started it and stopped it twice and it is set to auto. I can print to the 8610 from the other 5 Windows 10 based computers in the house but not from my main PC.

This becoming very frustrating, any ideas?

thanks,

cjb4

Reaction score
You don't mention shared printers in your post.
Check and make sure the settings are correct. To check the settings "Shared Printers" settings type printer in Windows search.
Or type "Troubleshoot" in Windows search and select "Trouble Shoot System Settings" > Printers.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I tried all of the auto troubleshooting tools (windows and HP) and they are unable to fix the problem. I don’t think it is a printer problem I think it is a Windows issue.
It is set up as a shared printer.
I think the key is somewhere between the file sent to the print queue and the link to the printer. I can open the print queue and watch as I send a file to print. It appears for a few seconds and then disappears, but doesn’t print. On any of the other 5 computers I have I do the same thing and watch it appear in the queue and then disappear as it prints.
I have tried just about everything short of reinstalling windows.
Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Two things you might try
Check the advance printer properties and uncheck or disable two way communications (sometimes called bi-directional) see if that helps.
IF not you might have better luck configuring and using a standard TCP/IP port rather than the hokey default port configured and if that doesn't work just right then add LPR check the box and name it PORT1
Unfortunately I tried all of the auto troubleshooting tools (windows and HP) and they are unable to fix the problem
I've given up on HP printers and gone back to Epson but the last time I had an issue with an HP inkjet printer and Windows 10 I used their Print and Scan Doctor
https://www.support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03286146
It did seem to resolve the issue at that time.

Reaction score
Could it be a registry issue? In the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER> Printer only the M401dne printer shows up. I only see the 8610 under ...software> HP. Any idea how to add it?

Reaction score
Hi Carmine,

did you check out the HP support tool and run its troubleshooter?. ;)

hp tool.PNG

Reaction score
Yes I tried this and the windows utility. Also tried copying the registry entry from another computer it works on. No luck. Sends to the print queue then disappears. I’ve run out of things to try. It actually makes no sense, printer works fine on other computers on same network.

Ask a Question