Print spooler sometimes stops

Reaction score
Hi
A couple of times recently (the latest being today), I have been unable to print - get message that no printers are installed (they are all there in control panel).
The fix is to go to services & start the print spooler service, which has randomly decided to stop working.

I would like to understand why it would suddenly stop

I have a number of printers installed - 1 Xerox Phaser 6600 - which has 2 instances, one for single sided printing only & my default one which duplexes. I also have Foxit Phantom pdf printer & some others that I didn't install (Microsoft XPS document writer, Send to OneNote etc)

I regularly use my pc via LogMeIn, which I did this morning, but didn't do anything different from any other day, but when I got home, I couldn't print. This has now happened about 3 times & each time I have to restart the spooler service. It is set to automatic.
Win 10 1511, all updates. I am running Kaspersky Total Security 2016, but that doesn't give me any issues

Any suggestions gratefully received
Thanks in advance

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi DebSki,

Welcome to the Forum.

You mentioned your Print Spooler service is set to Start automatic. Did you happen to check the other properties too?

Untitled.png

It is plausible you have a corrupted Library file (DLL) or System file that is upsetting the Print Spooler service. You could check this by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control opens click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt that now opens type SFC /SCANNOW then press Enter key

This scan will take several minutes so do it at a convenient time.

Given you have so many printers installed the other possibility is that one or more of them are using an outdated driver file, or at least one that conflicts with another. If that were the case then updating the driver would help, or uninstalling the current one then re-installing if no newer version is available to exclude the possibility its somehow corrupted.

You can check for updates via manufacturer website, or by right-clicking on Start and selecting Device Manager, then opening the Print queues and right-clicking each printer and selecting Update Driver Software.

If you have a date and approximate time you are certain the Print Spooler Service stopped, you could take a look at the Application Event Log as this would likely tell you exactly what was running that led to the service stopping. To check this log:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Event Viewer
  • In the left pane of Event Viewer window expand the Windows logs then left click on Application
  • After a few seconds this log will display in the middle pane with the most recent events at top. If you now click on Filter Current Log in the right pane another window will pop up.

In this window check the box next to Error then click the drop arrow next to Event Sources and scroll down and check the box next to Spooler, then click away from that list and now click OK the list in middle pane will filter down to only errors to do with Spooler which will help reduce the errors to search.

To read an error simply double-left-click on an error to view details.

Sample Image

Untitled2.png

You could also troubleshoot using the built in Troubleshooting app:
  • Press Windows key and S
  • In search box type troubleshooting then press Enter key
  • In the left pane of window that opens click View all
  • Back in main window when it populates click Printer then follow prompts.

At the moment that is all that comes to my mind on your issue.

Report back on any progress and keep an eye out for others contributions to your question.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Some observations, first, are you still running the older OS build on purpose instead of upgrading to 1607?

Could the problem be related to running one printer with two versions of its properties. Since the Duplex option is normally set in that dialog perhaps the system is being confused. Print Spoolers will stop when they encounter problems.

I have no experience with LogMein but it sounds like you have problems after using it.

You can get access to some of the printer settings by using Settings-Devices and left clicking the printer..

Reaction score
Some observations, first, are you still running the older OS build on purpose instead of upgrading to 1607?

Could the problem be related to running one printer with two versions of its properties. Since the Duplex option is normally set in that dialog perhaps the system is being confused. Print Spoolers will stop when they encounter problems.

I have no experience with LogMein but it sounds like you have problems after using it.

You can get access to some of the printer settings by using Settings-Devices and left clicking the printer..

Hi
Wasn't aware that I wasn't running the latest version. Win 10 auto updates whenever it feels like it, so assumed I was on latest version.

I have been running the 2 versions of the printer for months now, with no problems. Also been using LogMeIn for years, with no such problems & I don't know that it was that that caused the problem yesterday.

This print spooler stopping has only happened 2 or 3 times & frankly, it's not too much bother, so long as I remember the fix is to restart print spooler.

Apparently I am running the latest driver for this printer, so who knows? Just a little teaser from Microsoft perhaps?!

Ask a Question