Program protocols in windows 10

Reaction score
Hi: I'm having problem with opening all my folders with the double click function using a mouse. This is the error message I get every time I try: "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action( double click to open a folder). Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
Can any one help me! I used to have the correct protocol when I first got windows 10 pro.
Thank you for your understanding.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Normand,

I've attached a file which will edit your Registry to correct the Folder default protocols and hopefully allow you to regain normal access to them. To use the file you need to be logged in with Administrator privileges.

Note: This REG file is for Windows 10 users only. DO NOT use on any other Windows OS!

To use this attached file do the following:
  • Download and save to your Desktop
  • Right click on file | select Merge
    • Note: If right clicking is not possible, then left click once to highlight file then press Shift + F10
  • Security Alerts may appear: Click Run and / or Click Yes when prompted
  • When completed Restart computer

Once restarted, assuming this Registry edit has resolved your issue I'd recommend doing a thorough Malware and/ or virus scan of your system to ensure no rogue application is the cause of this corruption.

Note: You may discover there are other associations damaged once you can get your folders to open. If this occurs please post to forum and I'll provide additional REG files to repair those if necessary.

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Attachments

• Folder Default Protocols_Windows 10.reg
    6.2 KB · Views: 551
Reaction score
Hello. I tried this solution, but it did not work. i'm still getting the error after merging and restart

Reaction score
What is the file extension you are trying to open? Can you right click and select "open" to get it open?

Reaction score
It would still be nice to even know which folders or some indication as to which types of folders. The message you got would seem to be specific to one type of file so if it is actually referring to a normal folder you may have some corruption on the system.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of right now is to check explorer under the options on the view tab, select change folder and search options. Try using the setting other that what you currently show. If it is set to single click change it to double click and vice versa.

You may also see if you can reload the mouse driver.

Reaction score
I should clarify. This is a laptop, but mouse I'd definitely working. I can open files and links, browsers etc. But when I click on a folder, I get. "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action."

Reaction score
Actually, it did work, thanks. i just needed to restart about 4 times for it to kick in. Def appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Hi: I'm having problem with opening all my folders with the double click function using a mouse. This is the error message I get every time I try: "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action( double click to open a folder). Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
Can any one help me! I used to have the correct protocol when I first got windows 10 pro.
Thank you for your understanding.

The error "This file doesn't have a program associated with it for performing this action" Typicall means ytou are trying to open a file that needs to open another file to view it. Example if you double click on a file file.XLS (Excel ) and you don't have Excel or a spreadsheet that reads XLS programs or you try to open a Video .MP4 format and you don't have a default video player. That's what association means also associating the file (XLS file) with the program (excel).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Actually, it did work, thanks
Glad to hear it.
Those types of fixes typically do some background registry editing, which will often require a reboot to actually work.
Not sure why it would have taken multiple reboots though.

Ask a Question