Random endless Z's and W's

Reaction score
I have had an issue with the letter W randomly taking off running and I can't get it to stop short of restarting my computer. I haven't gone anywhere near the W key when it does it which makes it all the more baffling. My husband has recently started having the same trouble only with Z. Help and thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Jonnicat,

is this a laptop KB or USB?, if you turn it upside down and give it a good shake, you may have crumbs or something stuck under the keys?. :)

Reaction score
There are times when I boot up my laptop, use the mouse to click on Google to open the browser and when it comes up the W is zooming along in the search window without my having even touched the keyboard! I use a stand alone keyboard, my husband uses his laptop. I will give that a try on my keyboard the next time it happens, thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Only in a web browser...
OR
Does it also happen with notepad, wordpad
I use a stand alone keyboard
How is it connected
USB, PS2, Wireless???

Do you have a spare you could swap in for testing?

Reaction score
Hi Jonnicat,

you can also try using a vacuum cleaner (set at minimum) with a brush head and give that a go!. Be careful as you might suck up a few keys if they are loose!. :)

Reaction score
Only in a web browser...
OR
Does it also happen with notepad, wordpad

How is it connected
USB, PS2, Wireless???

Do you have a spare you could swap in for testing?
The computers are connected wirelessly, and it only shows up in web browser. It's so bad in my husband's that in one program he can't get anything BUT Zs

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm confused and I think I did it to myself so it's not your fault, but....
Are you both having this issue with your laptops while using the laptop's integrated keyboard?
OR
Are either or both of you using a keyboard that is not integrated as part of the laptop
WHICH
Is connect to your laptop via a USB cable?
OR
Bluetooth / wireless method?

Further confused by
it only shows up in web browser. It's so bad in my husband's that in one program he can't get anything BUT Zs
Could you open NOTEPAD and please let us know if you have the same keyboard issue on either or both while attempting to type some simple text into a new notepad document?
AND
I should probably get this out of the way.....
Are both laptops (computers) identical?

Reaction score
Are you both having this issue with your laptops while using the laptop's integrated keyboard?
OR
Are either or both of you using a keyboard that is not integrated as part of the laptop
WHICH
OR

Further confused by

Could you open NOTEPAD and please let us know if you have the same keyboard issue on either or both while attempting to type some simple text into a new notepad document?
AND
OR
WHICH
OR

Further confused by

AND
Our computers are both Acers but different models.
My events happen on a wireless keyboard, his happens on the laptop's keyboard. My events happen very infrequently, his is to the place where he can't type anything, either in a Word document or in a web browser (we just tested this).
He is ready to turn it into a boat anchor...albeit a small one...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Addressing yours....
Usually when I have a wireless keyboard acting goofy, I assume batteries are at fault.
Otherwise, simply test by removing the wireless dongle from your laptop and see if the integrated keyboard alone causes the issue.
Pretty sure that when two input devices are attached either two keyboards or two mice, the computer can and will accept input from either or both simultaneously, so....
You need to take some steps to figure out which one is the culprit.

His, since it's the integrated keyboard alone and the problem persists across multiple programs, then he likely has a stuck key.
It could be a physical obstruction, it could be actual damage to a particular key-switch or perhaps even the keyboard ribbon connector is not seated and locked down.

You may have to take it and have the keyboard replaced
OR DIY
Undoubtedly a YouTube video or two out there showing how to
Some are very simple and others are a giant pain.

Reaction score
Thank you! I think one of the key issues you mentioned is the culprit...he had a new keyboard installed awhile ago because of some non functional keys, and though it worked great for awhile, I think it's got a bigger issue now than the old one did!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've replaced a lot of laptop keyboards and some have been of pretty poor quality and like you say after a few months were worse than the one I replaced.
WHILE others have turned out great, usually when I bought factory replacement parts rather than third party after market.
AND again....
The ribbon cable can be a pain to get in place properly and locked down with the flip-bar.

Reaction score
Usually when I have a wireless keyboard acting goofy, I assume batteries are at fault.
I agree whole heartedly with @Trouble on this one, I used a wireless mouse keyboard set only once in my life, nothing but trouble with it, batteries failing almost daily and sometimes I couldn't even log in using either mouse or KB. I have never used wireless mice or KB's since!. :(

Ask a Question