Reading posts

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed but...
When opening a post, is there a setting to start at the top of the post instead of it scrolling down to the last post?
It's annoying to have to scroll back to the top to read the posts.
Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how it works. But the forum software keeps track of your visits (views) of a particular thread.
IF you open a thread that you have never visited before or if you open a thread that you have visited the last post, it should open the thread at the first post.
IF you have visited a thread before it will index your view when you open it, to the most recent post since you last opened the thread.
At least that is how it has always worked for me, using Internet Explorer. I always assumed that it used cookies in some fashion to facilitate this function.

Reaction score
Hmm. Looks like I need to investigate again - darn. Mine always open at the last post. Page up takes me to the first post.

P.S Cancel that. I normally (?) click the fainter type (date) under the name. Takes me to the last post, which is where I am heading. Clicking the thread title takes me to the first post.

Not sure if this is what the OP is asking, however? page up/page down takes me to the top or bottom.

Reaction score
I always get taken to the last post whether I've read it before or not. Most forums will take me to the first post in a thread.
There are only two (so far) which go to the last post.

Reaction score
No 1 should take you to the first post. No2 to the last post.

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Try it on a thread which you have not yet visited. Does page up work for you, to get you back to the first post?

Reaction score
Page up works but I shouldn't have to use it. It also goes to last post on never seen threads (tried it already).
Like I said, I belong to seven other forums besides this one and they all go to the first post by clicking on the thread title except this one and tenforums.com.

Reaction score
I can't think of any other solutions. Perhaps the Administrator can spot something in your configuration, that is causing it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll do some reading up on how the last read/post marking system works and get back to you, as it's the forum software trying to be helpful by taking you to where you last read up to. I'll post back here shortly when I've seen what the options are :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a read of threads on the forum software site, but it just confirms what has already mentioned further up.

What happens if you click the faint grey date underneath the thread title (not the date to the right) - does it take you to the first post then? Which browser are you using?

Reaction score
That date goes to first post. Tried on several just to be sure.
Chrome. Latest.

Ask a Question