Reset default explorer

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem on windows 10... sudenly there was a change to the default program that opens folders from explorer.exe to cmd. So if I doubleclick a folder it says there is no program assigned to it and doesnt open. Still if I rightclick and click open it opens no problem. How can I make explorer.exe open folder as default again?
Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi SlowLee,

Try registering the Shell by doing the following:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • If prompted click Yes
You'll now see the Administrator: Command Prompt console open to the prompt C:\WINDOWS\System32>

• At that prompt type or copy and paste the following command:
REGSVR32 /i SHELL32

• Now press Enter key to execute command
  • After a few seconds a pop up will confirm success then disappear
  • Type Exit | press Enter key to close Administrator: Command Prompt console
  • Restart computer

That ought to resolve the issue. Please report back if resolved, or if the issue persists.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
So I did it and the command went succesfull but the problem remains. When I restarted there was some kind of windows update but nothing really changed.

Edit: it might be considered important that this first ocured after last windows update and after that my antivirus found some virus. After the virus were blocked it went ok for a while (few hours) but then it ocured again

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
So I did it and the command went succesfull but the problem remains. When I restarted there was some kind of windows update but nothing really changed.

Edit: it might be considered important that this first ocured after last windows update and after that my antivirus found some virus. After the virus were blocked it went ok for a while (few hours) but then it ocured again

Hi SlowLee,

Sure if you have a virus infection that can certainly corrupt Windows System files, profile settings, etcetera.

What anti virus program are you using?

Can you open it to check what virus in particular it dealt with?

That information would help to assess whether further action needs taking before re-registering the Shell.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
ok I solved it the virus must have edited the registry so if someone else have this problem:
Just go to regedit andin HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory delete folders with "cmd" name
or just call your friend with same system and get his Directory regs.

Thank you for help Regedit32 :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well done SlowLee :)

Thanks for the update. If you can could you post the name of particular virus.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question