Restore error

Reaction score
Restore error ox80070091.
Will any of the register cleaners correct this problem. Are there any simple solutions? I am not computer wise and would never go fiddling with the register.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm assuming you are referring to a System Restore generated error. If not ignore the following advice.

This has been an issue for some Windows 10 users now for a couple of years, and to be honest I thought Microsoft had resolved it as no one seems to have mentioned it in a long while.

There is a method that ought to resolve this that Microsoft released some time ago now.
  • Assuming you are logged into a normal Desktop session, press Windows key and R key
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab and check the box next to Safe Boot then apply and agree to restart computer
  • When you have booted into Safe Mode sign in & right-click on Start & select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • You ought not be, but if prompted by a User Account Control click Yes
  • In the Command Prompt: Administrator console type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    takeown /f "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r /d y

Press Enter key to execute which will take ownership of the WindowsApps folder and all its subfolders and files with the current User signed in.

Next type or copy & paste this command:

Code:
    icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant the-user-name-you-sign-in-with:F /t

Note: Replace the-user-name-you-sign-in-with, with your username. In my case I sign in as Regedit32, so for me the command would be icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant Regedit32:F /t

Press Enter key to execute which will grant permissions for the User Name you chose to modify the WindowsApps folder and its contents.

Next type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    attrib "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" -h

Press Enter key to execute which will remove the Hidden attribute this folder currently has.

Finally, type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    rename "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" WindowsAppsBackup

Press Enter key to execute which will rename the WindowsApps folder to WindowsAppsBackup

• Close the Command Prompt window
  • Press Windows key and R key
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab then remove check next to Safe boot and apply and choose to restart computer.

When its restarted sign in as usual then you ought to be able to run a System Restore.

Assuming that Restore works, you ought not need to rename that WindowsAppsBackup again, but just in case there is an issue, simply reboot to Safe mode as before and:
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type or Copy & Paste the following:

Code:
    rename "C:\Program Files\WindowsAppsBackup" WindowsApps

Press Enter key to execute

Code:
    attrib "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" +h

Press Enter key to execute and restore the hidden attribute to the WindowsApps folder

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question