Restoring OCR to OneNote

Reaction score
Instructions say that if you right-click an image opened in OneNote, you should get the option to 'Copy text from Image'. That option does not offer in my OneNote from Office2010 in Windows 10 32bit v1903. How can that be remedied ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You need to use the OneNote Desktop application, not the OneNote app that came preinstalled with Windows 10.

To get the Desktop version go here: https://www.onenote.com/Download

Site image:

Untitled.png

Reaction score
RegEdit32 - instead of installing a desktop version of OneNote - OFFICE is being downloaded - which I imagine will take a long time to complete (at my internet speed)...

davehc - Your snap shows I was justified in expecting 'Copy text from picture' to offer in Context Menu. My question is : How to force it to behave as it should.

Reaction score
Just a note, I have Office 2013 on my main computer but the name of OneNote is OneNote for Windows, apparently did not come with Office 2013. The Version of OneNote for Windows is 16.
1572284958214.png

The right-click of the icon on Start is rather minimal.
1572285067685.png

Reaction score
Correct. I didn't even pay attention to the date of the OPs Office program!

Regedit32

Reaction score
RegEdit32 - instead of installing a desktop version of OneNote - OFFICE is being downloaded - which I imagine will take a long time to complete (at my internet speed)...

davehc - Your snap shows I was justified in expecting 'Copy text from picture' to offer in Context Menu. My question is : How to force it to behave as it should.

It's not downloading Office, it's downloading the Microsoft Office OneNote for Home & Education 2016 edition.

Coming back to your original post, I note that today the default OneNote APP [ THE PURPLE ONE ] now displays what you are looking for.

Make sure you are signed-in to your Microsoft account, and check Microsoft Store for updates.

1.png

It'd appear Microsoft have updated the pre-installed OneNote sometime in the last 24 hours.

Reaction score
RegEdit32 - "It's not downloading Office, it's downloading the Microsoft Office OneNote for Home & Education 2016 edition."
Downloading has finished and the splash screen says "You're all set. Office is installed now."
When I have had time to see what has been achieved I'll post the results here.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What you'll see is the original OneNote in purple, and the Home & Education 2016 OneNote in red, when you click Start and scroll down the listed apps to the O section.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You may also see Office listed as an app in the O section, and when you open that you'll see you need to Install Office or Buy Office 365 to use it, with the exception of the free OneNote

Reaction score
Now to see whether the free Onenote has the OCR facility. One PC that I did NOT run that install on, has the Onenote (free) which does NOT do OCR. The other Onenote in the PC in which the install happened, requires me to connect to The Cloud for any progress. I do NOT want OCR at the price of getting involved with The Cloud.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That'd be the Office 2016 OneNote as opposed to the default OneNote app that comes preinstalled with Windows 10.

The Office edition appears Red in colour, whilst the default app is purple.
Yes. Bighorn has pointed that out, with my reply following!

Ask a Question