SOLVED Scanned files not picking up permissions of folder into which they are saved

Reaction score
I have discovered that files created by my scanner do not pick up the inherited permissions of the folders in which I save them. So, for example, a document I have scanned and put in Public Documents is not viewable by Everyone. Does anyone know how this can be rectified, please?

Reaction score
Hi Curt,

right click the main folder and then on "Properties > Security" and check "Permissions for SYSTEM/Your Name/Administrators" for what is allowed or denied!. :)

1600670891049.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hopefully you are not using C:\Users\Public\Public Documents
scanned and put in Public Documents
Can you explain the container structure that you are employing
AND
Whether or not you've disabled inheritance from any parent container and placed explicit NTFS security permissions as well as Share permissions on the problem directory.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Your first line is a bit worrying because I am using C:\Users\Public\Public Documents. I have not diabled inheritance from a parent container or changed permissions. Such things are above my limited computer skills - I only started investigating when I found that my wife (who has an administrator account on the same computer) was unable to view a scanned file I had saved in the Public Documents folder.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You'd likely be better off creating a folder, call it "Scans" in the root of C
Share it
Share Permissions = Full Control to the Everyone group
AND
NTFS Security Permissions as you'd like

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Many thanks for your detailed reply, Trouble. I shall give it a go.
Wolfie, both my wife and myself are logging in as administrators.

Curt

Reaction score
Hi, Trouble

I have set up the Scans folder with permissions as you suggested. I have not yet added any further permission, but I wonder if you could explain something to me, please. I scannned a document and saved it in the Scans folder. When my wife tried to open the document (logged into her account on the same computer) , she received the note: "It ppears that you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again". As administrators are shown as having full control and she is an administrator, I can't see why this should be. There's obviously an important point I am missing, so would be grateful for an explanation.
Curt

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
would be grateful for an explanation.
Which version of Windows is installed on the machine.... Are we talking about a Windows Pro machine or a Windows Home machine.

The problem, most likely, is a group membership conflict.
IF you go back to the Properties -> Security tab as pictured above
You'll notice that in addition to the Administrators Group there is also the Users Group as well as Authenticated Users either of which may have more restrictive permissions
AND
On an NTFS volume the most restrictive permissions win every time.

On a Pro machine I generally just launch
lusrmgr.msc
And make sure that a computer Administrator (member of the local administrators group) has only that group (Administrators) that they are a member of.
That particular Snap-in Console is not available on a Home version computer, so....

You'll need to select either OR if present, both "Authenticated Users" and "Users" and check the box in the bottom pain next to (at least) "Modify" (which means they can do anything with the file except delete it OR "Full Control" which includes "Modify" permissions as well as the ability to delete the file.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Trouble. I have Windows 10 Home, by the way. It's clearly very complicated (or so it seems to me, anyway!) but I'm grateful to you for your explanation.

Curt

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In can seem a little daunting and overly complicated especially in this medium where I'm trying to explain NTFS permissions with a minimum amount of geek speak. Which is why I try to include images in hope that helps a little.

Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Ask a Question