Scrolling Problem in email

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea why I am no longer able to scroll via the wheel on my Microsoft Wireless 5000 mouse while reading an email in my Earthlink email program? I'm using using Windows 10-64, and the problem comes when I've brought in my email list which takes up the left half of my screen and then double-click on a specific email so that it opens on the right half of my screen. I can move up and down through the email's text only by using my cursor on the vertical gray bar on the far right.

The mouse scrolling functions works fine in other applications, such as moving up and down in this post. Also, this is a new problem; I've scrolled up and down through email texts for years, until last week!

I've opened Settings/mouse and all seems fine. I've checked Preferences for Earthlink which has no info re my problem.

All advice appreciated. It's not an earth-shaking problem, but it is annoying.

Reaction score
The first thing that come to my mind is whether the mouse is being clicked somewhere inside in the message to give it focus? The next thing I did not see mentioned is whether the same problem exists in other programs? Have you tried a different mouse, if wired USB maybe a different port or if wireless a different USB port or a new battery? I have seen some issues with USB 3 ports not "falling back" to USB 2 devices properly.

Reaction score
Thanks -- I'm clicking inside the email, so focus is not an issue; it's only in this program; and I do not have another mouse. Will try a port change.

Thanks for trying --much appreciated

Ask a Question