Shutdown after PC has been idle

Shutdown after PC has been idle

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32 submitted a new article:

Shutdown after PC has been idle - How to schedule a shutdown after a specified period of no activity

If you create a Scheduled Task to shut down the computer when idle, any open programs will be closed first then the computer will shut down.

To do this do the following:
  • In your Search / Cortana box type Task Scheduler then press Enter key to open
  • When the Task Scheduler window opens on the right pane click Create Task

View attachment 3717

• This will open the Create Task window and by default you will...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
I have created a shutdown task as described in this article. It works like a charm.

My reason for creating the task s because my wife has a tendency to log on to Facebook, spend some time there, then walk away from the computer leaving everything on and connected to the internet. Sometimes I have found as high as 43 Facebook links still open after she has finished.

My question is: Once the task starts running and gives you the dialog box that the computer is about to shut down, you can't stop the shutdown procedure. You can click on the Close tab and all that does is close the notification window.

Is there a flag that you can tick, or something that I can do to stop the shutdown procedure and reset the countdown timer in the Shutdown task to zero? Sometimes I am working on something and while I am not actively typing on the keyboard or browsing, the procedure starts and I have to let it run it's course then restart my computer again. I have the parameters set as in the article with one exception: I have the Program/script set as Shutdown.exe /f/s

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has.

Regards,
Ed Wood

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is not possible within the interface itself,

However, if you can open a command prompt and type shutdown /a then press Enter key before the shutdown occurs this will cancel the command,

Ask a Question