SOLVED Slow boot up

Reaction score
Since the last windows, my laptop takes ages to boot. First it's a black screen with a loading wheel going round and round for ages, then I have to press spacebar, which brings the log in screen, then I have to press spacebar again to log in and after that it's another 3 or 4 minutes before I'm into it. Before loading the update, windows stated that my version of windows ten was coming to an end and I had to download the new version.

Reaction score
Which version do you have, the 1909? this is the only one that is coming to an end soon (with release of the 2104).
Do you have a HDD or SSD and how old is your PC ??
a quick cleanup might help (Storage sense active, deleting temp folders etc). One can't believe how much junk accumulates over time on the computer.

Reaction score
Hi Iceboy,

I recommend an upgrade which may well solve your slow boot problem!. :)

Reaction score
Laptop is about 4 years old with Windows 10 Home edition it says..I did notice in one section that I can revert back to windows 7..was this a Lenovo windows 7 laptop before with a windows 10 update?...according to updates it's KB4589212..now it wants to update again to KB4601554 and then update again to KB4577586 to remove Abode flash player for windows 2004..and then it says it could not complete but it's restarting again.

Reaction score
Plus since the update, the app checker in windows defender keeps blocking firefox.:mad:

Reaction score
Do the upgrade first. with regards to Windows Defender blocking FireFox, open Windows Defender > Virus & Threat protection > Allowed threats > Protection history and add FF to the list. ;)

1616835938673.png

Reaction score
No I didn't see that Wolfie.. I'll check it out..there seems to be a difference between this laptop system and to the desktop system, I get no problems with the desktop I bought from Novotech to use for gaming..But the Lenovo laptop is always bringing problems with updates. It's so slow to happen at the time of download and updating...maybe it is the speed of the system on each. The laptop practically comes to a stop.

Reaction score
To be honest Grizzly, I'm fed up to the back teeth with this windows update, my icons keep getting huge no matter what I do, it keeps losing my wifi and passcode and ethernet connection, and when I search for hard drive info, it opens bing in edge browser and keeps reminding time after time to use edge has my default browser..the only thing I can see is a total wipe or to smash the bloody thing to pieces. I don't actually do anything with it because it's always playing up or forcing edge and bing onto me.All I can find is..WDC5000LPCX-24VHATO

Last edited:
Reaction score
WDC5000LPCX-24VHATO
That's a 5400 RPM Western Digital Blue, 500gb, 2.5" laptop hdd. It's about as slow of a hard drive as it gets. I have a couple of them, and I can attest to that. But obviously, if after the last update it's gotten slower, then there's other issues. Maybe it's loading more background programs. Maybe it was just a bad update. I hate to say it, but you'd probably benefit a lot from buying an ssd and a clean install of Windows.

Reaction score
That's a 5400 RPM Western Digital Blue, 500gb, 2.5" laptop hdd. It's about as slow of a hard drive as it gets. I have a couple of them, and I can attest to that. But obviously, if after the last update it's gotten slower, then there's other issues. Maybe it's loading more background programs. Maybe it was just a bad update. I hate to say it, but you'd probably benefit a lot from buying an ssd and a clean install of Windows.

I think you could be right..dump it!..I know for definite that is edge is continually running in the back ground by using a cleaner. I checked every half hour and edge and bing are always popping up.

Reaction score
Iceboy I think my Lenovo is similar to yours, originally Windows 8, has an I5 and a touchscreen.
My Lenovo had one of those WD disks . I replaced it including cloning in about 1 1/2 hours with a 500 GB Samsung SSD. Made a large difference bother for speed and battery life. I kept the HDD and use it, in a USB enclosure as a backup device using Macrium Reflect.

My Lenovo has, believe it or not for an old machine TWO M2 slots. One of them was empty so I plugged in a 128Gb SSD as a 2nd disk and the other one has the Intel ethernet/wifi/bluetooth device. Works OK but the Wifi only does 2400 Mhz so no ac mode. I have been thinking about replacing that

I do not use Edge, sadly it can't be deleted.

Reaction score
Hi Tim Locke, thanks for the reply. So all is not lost then..is it a lot of trouble changing the hard drive?...don't get me wrong, it's a nice machine, but very slow and troublesome with the version of windows they've put on it. If I could change the windows version and do the hard drive it would be a great help as I have some disabilities which prevents me doing a lot of things and we have no computer shops near us.. Nearest one is about 12 mile away and I really don't want to trust my information on this machine with anyone else.Mines the ideapad 330.

Reaction score
The whole procedure.
Get a suitable 2.5" sata SSD and a cheap SATA to USB enclosure. If your laptop supports USB3 ( mine does ) get a USB 3 one.
Clone the HDD onto the SSD using one of other of the free software available.

Open the Lenovo. You will find the exact illustrated instructions on Youtube ( that is where I found the info.) Essentially you just take the botton=m off the case.
Remove the HDD ( IIRC 3 tiny screws and one connector and it lifts out.) Replace with the SSD and it should just boot. Check this before fiddling with putting the case back together.
While the machine is open if one of the memory slots is empty add more memory
The two M2 slots. One of them has the comms card and the other is empty. If you don't need the space then leave it alone.

When you are back alive then get the latest Windows update
As I said above, put the HDD into the USB enclosure and use it as a backup drive.

Reaction score
Agreed, My laptops are 13 and 14 years old and got a huge performance boost just by replacing the old spinner HDD's with a SSD. On my 14yr old laptop the boot time from turning on until I could use it used to be about 3-4 minutes. With a SSD the boot time shrunk down to 45-50 seconds. Now that is what I call a boost. I have a dual system on both laptops (Win7 and Win10) and even Win7 boots much faster.
I even replaced the 3.5" drive in my desktop with a 2.5" SSD (Desktop is about 18yrs old and can do Win7 only).
SSD's are not expensive anymore and for older laptops it really does not matter what brand you are getting as they cannot use the maximum performance out of them anyway. Today's SSD usually are SATA III and have about 6GBps throughput, however some older laptop may only have SATA I speed.
A memory upgrade is advised also as already mentioned. Just make sure you get the right one (timing and speed) and make sure you do not exceed the maximum RAM size as mentioned in the specs of your computer. It does not make sense to stuff a large RAM inside and the computer cannot even recognize it. Gotta do the homework on that.

Reaction score
Well thanks people, I'll crack on and get it done.. Thank you to all who replied with my problem.:)

Reaction score
You said you were a bit disabled. FWIW I think a job like you are planning is best done on your own desk/kitchen table with someone you know who also is reasonably knowledgeable with you to help. It never hurts to have a second person to fiddle with the size00 screwdrivers and to double check each connection.

Definietly look up the Lenovo on Youtube first Mine is a Ideapad U310 touchpad version. IIRC yours is an L330 or 340.

Both of these have Youtube vids showing exactly how to upgrade.

Reaction score
Yes I think you are right Tim Locke, with my arthritis in my hands it would definitely be beneficial to have help..thanks

Ask a Question