Snip & Sketch Tool Filename

Reaction score
Wef latest update (last week as i recall) Snipping Tool no longer saves the Filename of previous Snip which it used to do.

Reaction score
I just checked mine and opening from the icon it still saves in this format:
Annotation 2020-09-15 214828.png
But if I use the WinKey+Shift+S it doesn't save it but does keep it on the Clipboard available for Paste in a number of places. I get the Notification it has been copied to the Clipboard then clicking that message opens the full program.

Reaction score
I just checked from the icon, and it does the same as Bighorn. When I click the save icon, I am able to give it a name and destination, which it keeps.
I normally use the shortcut, however, which puts the snip on the clipboard. If I wish, I can click it there and also rename as usual.
But to which utility are your referring? The thread title says snip and sketch. The text says snipping tool. They are two separate utilities, the last shortly to become redundant.

Reaction score
A
I just checked mine and opening from the icon it still saves in this format:
Annotation 2020-09-15 214828.png
But if I use the WinKey+Shift+S it doesn't save it but does keep it on the Clipboard available for Paste in a number of places. I get the Notification it has been copied to the Clipboard then clicking that message opens the full program.
Agreed, but previously you used to change the Filenam and when you took another snip the edited name was still there and could be amended

Reaction score
I just checked from the icon, and it does the same as Bighorn. When I click the save icon, I am able to give it a name and destination, which it keeps.
I normally use the shortcut, however, which puts the snip on the clipboard. If I wish, I can click it there and also rename as usual.
But to which utility are your referring? The thread title says snip and sketch. The text says snipping tool. They are two separate utilities, the last shortly to become redundant.
Nope, Stopped using Snipping tool long time ago....

Per my original message... I want it to be the same as a week before last.

Reaction score
" previously you used to change the Filename, and when you took another snip the edited name was still there "
As I posted, it still is on mine.

Reaction score
" previously you used to change the Filename, and when you took another snip the edited name was still there "
As I posted, it still is on mine.
Okay, any thoughts why mine changed?
Perhaps it's complete coincidence that it was after the last update.

Reaction score
Okay, any thoughts why mine changed?
Perhaps it's complete coincidence that it was after the last update.
Oh and by the way, if i use the shortcut, same issue.
I have to edit the filename everytime from the format per Bighorn regardless of how I intiate Snip & Sketch.

Reaction score
" I have to edit the filename everytime from the format "
I do also. No offence, but I am not clear, now, what it is you are seeking? A snip cannot keep a file name until you have manually renamed it.

Reaction score
" I have to edit the filename everytime from the format "
I do also. No offence, but I am not clear, now, what it is you are seeking? A snip cannot keep a file name until you have manually renamed it.
That's odd, because before the update, I would make a snip, give it a new filename, and I'd be able to make another snip (for instance if it was a lnger file and wouldn't fit on one screen) then when I went to save it, the filename i gave the first one would come up and i could add a different number or change it slightly for the second one.

Reaction score
I think we are having difficulty communicating;)
You can do that.
If you select your snip, it opens in the snip and sketch utility, where you can save it with a new name, edit ...etc.

Reaction score
Y
I think we are having difficulty communicating;)
You can do that.
If you select your snip, it opens in the snip and sketch utility, where you can save it with a new name, edit ...etc.
Yes, perhaps you're right. In the past I would use Snip & Sketch and rename the file from say 'Screenshot 2020-09-16 171143' to 'Picture 16 Sept 2020' and save the snip. Then without closing the snip program, I would take another snip and go to save it and the save Filename would come up as 'Picture 16 Sept 2020' which I could amend to give it a slighly different name say 'Picture 16 Sept 2020 a'.
Now since the update, when i take the second snip without closing the program, it again defaults to 'Screenshot 2020-09-16 171145'.
Which means i have to retype the Filename or go and find the previous file and copy the filename.
Does that make it clearer?

Reaction score
Y

Yes, perhaps you're right. In the past I would use Snip & Sketch and rename the file from say 'Screenshot 2020-09-16 171143' to 'Picture 16 Sept 2020' and save the snip. Then without closing the snip program, I would take another snip and go to save it and the save Filename would come up as 'Picture 16 Sept 2020' which I could amend to give it a slighly different name say 'Picture 16 Sept 2020 a'.
Now since the update, when i take the second snip without closing the program, it again defaults to 'Screenshot 2020-09-16 171145'.
Which means i have to retype the Filename or go and find the previous file and copy the filename.
One basic thing about computing, one cannot have two files of the exact same name in the same folder, always have to rename one with a change of at least one character. Same file/name in separate folders = not a problem. Appears there may be a problem with Windows not clearing something in memory or cache once a file has been saved.

Reaction score
One basic thing about computing, one cannot have two files of the exact same name in the same folder, always have to rename one with a change of at least one character. Same file/name in separate folders = not a problem. Appears there may be a problem with Windows not clearing something in memory or cache once a file has been saved.
Yes, that's the point... I want to name the second file with the same but add a suffix ... witjhout retyping the whole name or searching for the file.... Like I was able to do a week ago

Reaction score
You probably won't be able to do that anymore. They've changed the function of the tool over the last couple years. I liked it when it was a basic snipping tool. But now they've made it multifunction. Probably the easiest thing to do is after naming the first file, and before saving it, highlight and copy the file name. Then you can paste it in the next one and alter the name as you see fit. Or, if you're saving the file in the same directory, click on the last file you saved, and then alter the file name. It does add an extra step, but it's quicker than retyping the entire file name over. I've had to do that with other programs.

Reaction score
If you save (one at a time)from the tool, to the same place, it does, of course, renumber them individually. These are two I quickly saved from the clipboard

1600269631699.png

Reaction score
He wants a custom file name from what I'm understanding. Which is sometimes what I do when I scan pictures, instead of using the default file name. The snipping tool would remember the last file name you used, and you could amend it from there without having to retype the whole file name.

Reaction score
Exactly. Or just name and save from within the clippibg tool. Mine saves to pictures, I don’t rememeber if I set that, or it is the default

Reaction score
I think it is a default Save location just as others are like Documents, Downloads, Videos, Music, etc. I try to Save As everything from the Web to a NAS drive so I can get to them from other computers, takes a few seconds longer but more convenient for me.

Reaction score
You probably won't be able to do that anymore. They've changed the function of the tool over the last couple years. I liked it when it was a basic snipping tool. But now they've made it multifunction. Probably the easiest thing to do is after naming the first file, and before saving it, highlight and copy the file name. Then you can paste it in the next one and alter the name as you see fit. Or, if you're saving the file in the same directory, click on the last file you saved, and then alter the file name. It does add an extra step, but it's quicker than retyping the entire file name over. I've had to do that with other programs.
Ah, so it's not a glitch then? Btw, I thought of that before I posted; it doesn't allow paste.
Thanks for the input...

Ask a Question