Snip and Sketch utility

Reaction score
The Snip and sketch utility is located in the main menu. It should be pointed out that this is intended, eventually, to replace the existing snipping tool. - No sign of that yet!
When you open it, you will be presented with a Window with the following message:

Press Windows logo key + Shift + S to snip....

Fortunately, the utility comes with an easier way to take a snip.

Open the utility settings - (Click the 3 dot bar top left and select "Settings")

The first setting: "Use the Prtscn button to open screen snipping" should be selected.

A popup will appear "Did you mean to switch Applications" . - Click "Yes"

You are now in the Windows 10 Keyboard settings. Scroll right down until you see the option "Print Screen shortcut" - Click it on.
You can now close the window and return to the Snip and Sketch App.
The beauty of this shortcut is that, from now, all you need to do to make a snip, is to press the prtsc button - no other keys required, and a small bar will appear at the top of your screen, with the options for which kind of snip you require (rectangle, freehand..etc.)
It ha been pointed out to me thst it may be neccesary to restart before this shortcut is available

The snip is in you clipboard and can be directly pasted into an application or a Forum post.
The options are self evident, but, as a reminder, it is always useful to have the "Save Snips " maked as ON

If you make a new snip from within this App, you can use the bar, as under, for limited operations. The first icon allows you to write, with your pointing device, directly onto the snip.. The next three insert colours for annotating, into the snip. Next symbol will erase all of your written text.
The last will open the snip in a new window, so that the size can be adjusted.

1572776901959.png

Here is an example, with annotation.

1572853589178.png

Enjoy

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Dave.
I would note that on my computer, in order for this to work as described, it required a reboot.
Don't know if this is unique to my computer because of some other setting I have ticked or not, .....
I just thought I would mention it.
Much appreciated

Reaction score
You may well be correct. It is a while ago that I installed the shortcut. Just tried switching it off, and then back on, and it worked, but that could be because it was already written in to the registry, or wherever.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Open the utility settings - (Click the 3 dot bar top left and select "Settings")

I did not see the more icon (top left), but found the PrtScrn hyperlink you mentioned when I opened the app from Start menu list and clicked the more icon located on the top right corner.

Just one question for you though:
  • When I tap the PrtScrn button, it captures an image to the clipboard, as it is designed to do, but it also opens this dialog for OneDrive too which is annoying:

Untitled.png

So the question is, if I get round to changing that setting in the new app you are discussing, will that stop this stupid dialog that tells me what I already know is about to happen *lol*

Reaction score
Sorry. I don't use the Onedrive, which may be the only solution.

You could try turning this off. But it makes no significant difference for me.

1574058462188.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
No worries — turns out it was a simple as clicking the No thanks in the pop up I posted in last post.

Reaction score
Great
I must say, with the shortcut, I am making great use of it in my local activities - snipping odd things and emailing or messaging to others!!
I bet they wish I had never spotted it!!

Ask a Question