SOLVED Start Menu.

Reaction score
Hi.
I have YouTube on my PC desktop with the usual icon.
When I pin it to the Start Menu it shows the IE icon with YouTube in text.
Not a major problem, but I would like to see the YouTube icon there.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Reaction score
The actual program being executed when you click on that icon may well be IE. How you change the icon I don't know...I never pin web apps to my start menu...never ever have...just never occurred to me to do so!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
open youtube.com in IE
click the gear icon in the top right corner
click "add site to Apps"
open start menu you should see it there as "recently added" as well as down in the all apps menu.
right click it and pin to start
That should do it.

StartMenu.jpg

Not much of an Icon, but at least it doesn't have Internet Explorer as part of it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
open youtube.com in IE
click "add site to Apps"

Hi trouble, I was playing around with that using a slightly different method yesterday and noted that when you drag the YouTube Icon to left of URL in the Webpage's address bar, then dropped it into that Programs folder, as you noted you could then pin it to the Start Menu. The catch-22 was this meant YouTube had to open in IE11.

It got me thinking, about the Tiles store location: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
  • Could you drop it here?!
  • After some stuffing around with lusrmgr.msc given the WindowsApps fold is:
    1. Hidden folder
    2. System Folder Permissions apply
I decided to move on from that idea :rolleyes:

As that appears to be a no go zone I decided to apply a little logic to the equation and finally worked out how to avoid using Microsoft Edge's built in "Pin to Start Menu" option that leaves one with a rather boring tile given Edge still does not allow favicons, extensions etcetera.

So for those wanting to have a YouTube icon in their Start Menu that opens in their Default Browser: Microsoft Edge
  • Right-click on Desktop
  • Select New > Shortcut or press W, then upon releasing press S
  • In the box beneath "Type the location of the item" enter the following:

https://www.youtube.com/ | then click the Next button

• Next enter a name for your shortcut: I just typed YouTube | then click Finish
  • A Shortcut appears with the default globe icon | Right-click that and select Copy or press C
  • Next press Winkey + R to open the Run Dialog
  • Type the following into the Run Dialog:

Code:
    shell:programs
  • Click OK
  • Now just click inside the Programs folder, then press Ctrl + V to paste your shortcut there
  • Finally to activate this, double-click the shortcut inside the Programs folder so it opens in Edge to YouTube's webpage.
  • Close all the windows open
  • Click Start | select All apps | Scroll down to YouTube
    • Note: If you named your shortcut something else scroll to that
  • Right-click on YouTube | select Pin to Start

That will leave you with a Tile like so:

YouTube Tile.png
(Thanks to Ian for telling me how to post a file from PC to board rather than from website :))

Note: If you name your Shortcut nothing at all (i.e. you press Alt + 255, or ALT + 0160 to get an invisible character), then beneath the YouTube icon you will see www.youtube.com, or something to that affect [ subject to your tile size ].

This tile will open in Microsoft Edge browser.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
The actual program being executed when you click on that icon may well be IE. How you change the icon I don't know...I never pin web apps to my start menu...never ever have...just never occurred to me to do so!
We all have our own way of doing things.

Reaction score
open youtube.com in IE
click "add site to Apps"
open start menu you should see it there as "recently added" as well as down in the all apps menu.
right click it and pin to start
That should do it.

View attachment 2817

Not much of an Icon, but at least it doesn't have Internet Explorer as part of it.
Yes that worked but did it in Edge, a better icon and opens faster.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi trouble, I was playing around with that using a slightly different method yesterday and noted that when you drag the YouTube Icon to left of URL in the Webpage's address bar, then dropped it into that Programs folder, as you noted you could then pin it to the Start Menu. The catch-22 was this meant YouTube had to open in IE11.

It got me thinking, about the Tiles store location: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
  • Could you drop it here?!
  • After some stuffing around with lusrmgr.msc given the WindowsApps fold is:
    1. Hidden folder
    2. System Folder Permissions apply
I decided to move on from that idea :rolleyes:

As that appears to be a no go zone I decided to apply a little logic to the equation and finally worked out how to avoid using Microsoft Edge's built in "Pin to Start Menu" option that leaves one with a rather boring tile given Edge still does not allow favicons, extensions etcetera.

So for those wanting to have a YouTube icon in their Start Menu that opens in their Default Browser: Microsoft Edge
  • Right-click on Desktop
  • Select New > Shortcut or press W, then upon releasing press S
  • In the box beneath "Type the location of the item" enter the following:

https://www.youtube.com/ | then click the Next button

• Next enter a name for your shortcut: I just typed YouTube | then click Finish
  • A Shortcut appears with the default globe icon | Right-click that and select Copy or press C
  • Next press Winkey + R to open the Run Dialog
  • Type the following into the Run Dialog:

Code:
    shell:programs
  • Click OK
  • Now just click inside the Programs folder, then press Ctrl + V to paste your shortcut there
  • Finally to activate this, double-click the shortcut inside the Programs folder so it opens in Edge to YouTube's webpage.
  • Close all the windows open
  • Click Start | select All apps | Scroll down to YouTube
    • Note: If you named your shortcut something else scroll to that
  • Right-click on YouTube | select Pin to Start

That will leave you with a Tile like so:

View attachment 2818 (Thanks to Ian for telling me how to post a file from PC to board rather than from website :))

Note: If you name your Shortcut nothing at all (i.e. you press Alt + 255, or ALT + 0160 to get an invisible character), then beneath the YouTube icon you will see www.youtube.com, or something to that affect [ subject to your tile size ].

This tile will open in Microsoft Edge browser.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks for the reply.
I used Trouble's suggestion... quick and easy.
Thanks anyway.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes that worked but did it in Edge, a better icon and opens faster.
Thanks.
You're welcome. Glad you managed to resolve your problem.
I only mentioned IE, because you had mentioned it in your original post.

Reaction score
You're welcome. Glad you managed to resolve your problem.
I only mentioned IE, because you had mentioned it in your original post.
I know, but I've always used IE.
I'm not too sure about Edge,wether I like it or not. But I guess I will have to get used to it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I used Trouble's suggestion... quick and easy.
Thanks anyway.

No worries ScrumpyJoe, my fingers needed the exercise :D

I'll swear GUI is the nail in the coffin for all of us so used to DOS days. Mr Dos surrenders ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Ask a Question