Still Not Notified!!!

Reaction score
I also have an ultrabook so yesterday I reserved my copy of Windows 10 and immediately it took off. Because here in Australia we have abysmal broadband speed the download and install took most of the day.
My desktop however is still trying to install every day. Why does it work for one but not the other?

Reaction score
I also have an ultrabook so yesterday I reserved my copy of Windows 10 and immediately it took off. Because here in Australia we have abysmal broadband speed the download and install took most of the day.
My desktop however is still trying to install every day. Why does it work for one but not the other?
This "randomness" in my opinion is all related to potential compatibility issues with Windows 10. Your ultrabook may have already been flagged as "100% compatible", while your desktop PC, even if marked as compatible by the "Get Windows 10 app", may still need the OK from the manufacturer of some of its components before triggering the update.

Reaction score
Yes I think so too. Both my machines are the same brand but they could still have different architecture or whatever I guess. I have another laptop which is a Toshiba brand but I will wait a while before trying to upgrade it.

Reaction score
My suspicion was legitimate. If you have reserved your free Windows 10 upgrade and you still have to be notified, this is likely because of potential compatibility issues.
I have found my confirmation today in a very useful post by a Microsoft MVP Administrator. He says:

Some people were not seeing the prompt to upgrade their computers, so they decided to force the installation. That created problems. When I checked compatibility, the OEM(s) did not have the specific model(s) listed. I had to remind the customers to revert to their previous operating system and to check OEM compatibility.

OEM's are constantly updating their lists as they test older systems. Before upgrading, it can save headaches if users confirm compatibility beforehand.
So, to make sure your device has been certified by your OEM, head over to the manufacturer's website:

As expected, I have checked the status of my HP 15-E026SL and, guess what?

HP has not tested your PC model for upgrade to Windows 10.

"I sit and wait.
Does an Angel contemplate my fate?"

Reaction score
Thing is, BJ, I don't want to do that, as I have well explained before in this thread.
I still don't get why. Your argument about compatibility is wrong. Many many have recieved their notificatio (including me), on systems that aren't compatible. But, I guess maybe you shouldn't upgrade.

Reaction score
I still don't get why. Your argument about compatibility is wrong. Many many have recieved their notificatio (including me), on systems that aren't compatible. But, I guess maybe you shouldn't upgrade.
Perhaps he is trying to convince himself he doesn't really want to. ;)

Reaction score
That probably means that their OEM wasn't able to thouroughly check their hardware for 100% compatibility, as is the case for desktop, custom PCs.
I have a laptop, which has not been tested for upgrade (see above). That is why I still have to get the notification, nothing else.

Reaction score
After 4 months, or 120 exact days as you may see it from the official launch of Windows 10, I have finally received the much desired notification! I am indeed downloading Windows 10 straight from Windows Update!!! :-D
I have checked if that was because HP had officially tested my laptop for compatibility, but on the manufacturer's website they still claim they have not done it... and at this point I am very much inclined to think that they never will.

Microsoft must have pulled a switch somewhere and decided that my hardware was safe to go. Nice thing to know, I'll keep you posted for the outcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck and yes.... keep us posted.
I hope you used some of those 120 days to make a backup of all your critical data and a disk image to cover all your bases.
It'll probably work out fine, but it sure would be nice to have a strong fall back position just in case it doesn't.

Reaction score
Just back from upgrading and resetting! Of course I did have a backup, also because I was planning to start from scratch just after the activation anyways ;-)
Upgrading went perfectly through without a hitch, can't be more satisfied! The outcome was worth the wait, apparently Microsoft took some time to better refine Windows 10 for my 2013 PC.

Reaction score
I reserved Windows 10 upgrade in July. App shows that computer is compatible. It is near the end of Nov. and no notification to install. Is the new November update going to allow me to install Windows 10?

Reaction score
There is no sure way to know.
The only thing you can do, if you like me want to wait for the notification, is wait patiently for it to show. Hopefully you'll receive it before the end of the year!

Reaction score
Well, it's Dec. and my patience ran out. I got tired of waiting for the upgrade. I took the advice of some people in the forum and downloaded Media Creation Tool and got the ball rolling. While windows 10 was installing, I received a prompt saying I needed to update Java Runtime Environment to latest version. Once that was done, install went through smoothly. I've had a few minor issues, but nothing that couldn't be corrected. I suggest that one of the first things after installing windows 10, is to disable the programs at startup that are not needed. Boot up was like watching grass grow. It was really slow. Once I disabled the ones that I don't use and those that are not needed, startup is much faster. Good luck.

Ask a Question