Store not working after Anniversay update

Reaction score
Several apps not working now including Photos and Microsoft Solitaire Collection but most importantly the Store does not work - I got a message that I needed a new Store app but HOW do I download a new app

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi mel51,

In the first instance do the following:
  • Press your Windows key and S key together to give focus to the Search box
  • In the Search box type troubleshooting then press Enter key
  • When the window opens in the left pane click View all
  • In the next window that opens click Windows Store Apps and follow prompts.

It may be worth also running the Windows Update troubleshooter there too.

Hopefully that will find the problem and fix it for you.

If that fails to help then while you may not be seeing the specific error code I wrote about in this article I posted on the forum if you follow the steps I wrote about it may still assist you to get the Store and other apps back and working again.

The article can be found here: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-resolve-the-error-0x8e5e0408-in-windows-store.46/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
The troubleshooter was unable to fix the problem - it says the Windows Store cache may be damaged and that I will need a new app to open ms-windows-store. So how do I get a new app?

Regedit32

Reaction score
On a working computer if you are able to go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Click on the Download tool now which is approximately 5.5 MB

Once downloaded, run the tool which will then allow you to download Windows 10 ISO image. You need to select the same Edition, Language and architecture type (i.e. whether your computer is 32 or 64-bit) to match what you currently have installed on your computer.

Once its downloaded, the last screen has a couple of buttons at top left to allow you to burn the iso image to a DVD or to a usb stick. When the burning is complete on that same screen you click the Finish button.

You can now insert the DVD or USB stick into your other computer and boot from it to attempt to repair your computer or if needed to reinstall windows 10 over the top of itself (in-place upgrade). If you take that route there is an option to save files and settings you all ready have. During this process it ought to reinstall the universal apps including Windows Store.

If you go to the articles section of this Forum Ian placed an article there about using an iso image and how to get it etcetera which has pictures of the screens you see as its running.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You are welcome to try that option.

My concern though was there may be corrupt files on your system that resetting may not resolve; or worse may result in loss of personal data even if you chose the option to save files and settings during the Reset process.

Reaction score
Although I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO image I didn't install as I was nervous about losing my files and settings. Then after the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798) on 12 October everything started working again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mel,

The cumulative updates are quite similar to doing an in-place upgrade of windows 10, so it will sometimes achieve the same result in terms of resolving an issue - not always, but often enough.

Glad its working for you again as you wanted.

Thanks for the update.

Regedit32

Ask a Question