Strange browsing problems

Reaction score
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have McAfee firewall/anti-virus. All works normally before the upgrade. After the upgrade I can connect to www.gmail.com, www.google.com and www.facebook.com only. If I click on a link on facebook it fails. If I try to go to www.google.com/finance it fails. If I try any other website it fails. Google search engine works but none of the links it shows me work EXCEPT the one that leads to www.google.com/finance. This is the only way that website works. If I try to go to it directly it fails. My dns works and my actual internet connection work. I can ping internet sites/domain names by name. I have tried disabling the Windows firewall. I have tried disabling the McAfee firewall. I have tried rebooting. It seems to be either a transport layer or an application layer problem. I have looked for firewall logs to try and see what is happening but I haven't found any yet. Has anyone run into this before? I have tried both Chrome and Windows browsers and get the same results. Windows itself does not think it is connected to the internet.

Update: Turned off both firewalls and same problem. Also, youtube works as well as google and the main facebook page.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Up to you, but.....
My first recommendation would be to completely remove all things McAfee.
Use the programs and features applet in Control Panel first and then follow that up by using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool from here
https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=CCnvB2lLWxcCp9b9FYJ8Ycwn3JqZHU2pmreIHTwXbKOuMDY3MiLe!-1745577616!-297249396?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=499236144470535#!@@?_afrLoop=499236144470535&articleId=TS101331&centerWidth=100%25&leftWidth=0%25&rightWidth=0%25&showFooter=false&showHeader=false&_adf.ctrl-state=nz0ppjk96_4
Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool:
  1. Download the MCPR tool from http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp and save it to a temporary folder on your computer.

IMPORTANT: Because the MCPR tool is updated periodically, always download a new copy before each use.

Ask a Question