Stuck On Build 17711

Reaction score
When I attempt to update to 17711, I get up to 52% and the this message pops up. ""Windows could not configure one or more components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation." Would greatly appreciate some help in getting past this.

Reaction score
Sounds like your current version has issues preventing you from installing
from an Admin command prompt. Run them one at a time don't get impatient some of these tools will take a long time to make the repairs needed.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow
chkdsk C: /f Rebooot to run

Reaction score
Clintlgm, I appreciate your assistance on attempting to help clear up my issues, but after performing all the steps and rebooting, it stills comes up with the windows message. Back to the old drawing board.

Reaction score
New Window Insiders Build 17713 downloaded and attempted install but got the same message as previously posted in my messages above. Gets to 52-53% then gives the message, rolls everything back that was attempted to install and reboots to 17692. Was really hoping that this would do a good install to keep me current.

Reaction score
As usual the new Insider build ( 17713) worked fine for me. But nothing inside it that was even worth testing I thought...as I don't use Edge.

Reaction score
My 17711 build keeps asking for a reboot, but no update occurs during or after the reboot. It appears I'm stuck on not being able to complete the install. Any help would be welcome.

I completed all the steps listed above with no results.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Clintlgm, I appreciate your assistance on attempting to help clear up my issues, but after performing all the steps and rebooting, it stills comes up with the windows message. Back to the old drawing board.
You'll have to look at your hardware and software drivers you may have something that is not compatible ensure all your hardware drivers are up to date. I haven't found software to prevent an upgrade but that doesn't mean it can't. I assume you have plenty of disk space?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows could not configure one or more components
You might want to reduce the computer to only the basics. USB connected mouse, USB connected keyboard and a single standard monitor.
You might also want to get rid of any possible bad or corrupt remnants of previous downloads.
Empty the Windows.OLD folder as well as the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and try your luck again.

Reaction score
I have decided to Opt out of the Windows Insider Program. I am investing numerous hours of computer time trying to clear up the problems keeping me from upgrading the next build, and the wife has plenty of things on her list for me to do. I appreciate each and every person who answered back to me. I have one question though. Will I get any security updates after stopping the Insider program builds?

Reaction score
I have decided to Opt out of the Windows Insider Program. I am investing numerous hours of computer time trying to clear up the problems keeping me from upgrading the next build, and the wife has plenty of things on her list for me to do. I appreciate each and every person who answered back to me. I have one question though. Will I get any security updates after stopping the Insider program builds?
You might turn off the insider program and try a repair install with 1803 which would mean you would create an install USB with MCT. I don't participate in the program so I'm not really sure how all that works you may have to revert back to an Image you saved before starting the Insider program.

Reaction score
New build installs OK (I've gone for Skip Ahead) after none of the 177xx builds installed for me so give it a go.

Reaction score
Well, I am back again but this time I am back to square one with a complete clean install after my computer hanging up and not allowing me to do anything to recover it. Not even the Geek Squad could get it back to where I could get a chance to copy over my files. Now I am trying to decide whether to just do Windows Insider for fixes and security updates or go for the full monty again? Any suggestions from those that have gone before.

Reaction score
First thing is to recover all your data. Unless you're a very switched on windows user you shouldn't be fooling around with insider builds at all. If you do you have to maintain good backup images so that you can recover back when problems arise that you can't fix. Macrium Reflect Free is top of the line.

Once Data files are recovered and backed, I would download and create an install media using MCT https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Remove or disconnect any other drive other than the one your going to install windows on.

At the start of a clean install I would hit F10 and Shift key that will bring up a command prompt, I would use diskpart to clean all on your disk/SSD

Diskpart
Select Disk
Clean All
Exit
Exit

Continue with your clean install

If you have hardware that does not have windows 10 drivers for, meaning that there not compatible with windows 10 either find ones that are or go back to 7 or 8.1 Insider builds are not going to support hardware that is obsolete. There are workarounds for most obsolete hardware but its hit and miss and not easy you'll have to search and find drivers that will work. this can take hours or days and weeks, generally not worth it for everyday users

Ask a Question