The New Computer Build Begins

Reaction score
Fedex came by early and I now have a new Corsair Vengeance C70 case waiting for UPS to bring some more parts later today. I like the newer designed cases that have room behind the motherboard to route cables and wiring. Really cleans up the inside of the case. Remember those big, wide ribbon cables that cluttered up a nice build? Also, the new, modular power supplies also help keep a clean build. It's a cloudy, foggy and wet day today. Perfect for being inside and assembling a new computer. Unfortunately UPS normally doesn't come by here till 4 or 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

Vengeance Case Left1.jpg
Vengeance Case Right1.jpg

Reaction score
It's a mid tower and so far everything fits and is running without issues. CPU temperature is fluctuating between 23/30°C and it is very quiet. I did hit a frustrating moment during the build. I was putting in one of the stand-offs for the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler and dropped it. The Z97 motherboard has a cover setup and I thought the stand-off had fallen through an opening and was possibly stuck somewhere under the cover. I looked all around my desk and in the case but couldn't find the errant stand-off. The cover setup on the motherboard is held on with about a dozen tiny screws from the backside of the board. I pulled the cover off and there was no stand-off. Reassembled the board and proceeded to dismantle the case. Got the case completely apart and no stand-off. I was scratching my head and wondering how a shiny, chrome plated piece could disappear so completely. I happened to look down and lo and behold, right by my foot laid the stand-off. I know I had looked over that spot with a flashlight so I have no idea if it was there all the time or if it fell out of something while I was taking stuff apart. After a couple of four letter words (heck and darn) I got everything back together and finished the build. When I pushed the power button everything came to life and the system booted up normally. Windows 8.1 installed the new video card and set the resolution without input from me, although I did install the latest driver from ASUS. Wish I could get a good picture of the four sticks of Crucial Ballistix memory sticks. The flashing LED's are cool and will speed up and slow down depending on memory activity. Crucial has an app that you can use to vary the colors and activity of the lights. Now I'm in the process of putting together my second computer using the Thermaltake Snow case (which is a monster by the way).

interior1.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Like it! I've got a Corsair case that is almost identical inside - it was a joy to work with :). The cable routing ports make things so much easier. So much different to PC case of 10-15 years ago that were a mess to connect!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It's a mid tower and so far everything fits and is running without issues. CPU temperature is fluctuating between 23/30°C and it is very quiet. I did hit a frustrating moment during the build. I was putting in one of the stand-offs for the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler and dropped it. The Z97 motherboard has a cover setup and I thought the stand-off had fallen through an opening and was possibly stuck somewhere under the cover. I looked all around my desk and in the case but couldn't find the errant stand-off. The cover setup on the motherboard is held on with about a dozen tiny screws from the backside of the board. I pulled the cover off and there was no stand-off. Reassembled the board and proceeded to dismantle the case. Got the case completely apart and no stand-off. I was scratching my head and wondering how a shiny, chrome plated piece could disappear so completely. I happened to look down and lo and behold, right by my foot laid the stand-off. I know I had looked over that spot with a flashlight so I have no idea if it was there all the time or if it fell out of something while I was taking stuff apart. After a couple of four letter words (heck and darn) I got everything back together and finished the build. When I pushed the power button everything came to life and the system booted up normally. Windows 8.1 installed the new video card and set the resolution without input from me, although I did install the latest driver from ASUS. Wish I could get a good picture of the four sticks of Crucial Ballistix memory sticks. The flashing LED's are cool and will speed up and slow down depending on memory activity. Crucial has an app that you can use to vary the colors and activity of the lights. Now I'm in the process of putting together my second computer using the Thermaltake Snow case (which is a monster by the way).

View attachment 122

Nice looking and great cable management. The only suggestion I can make, is I'd like to see a liquid cooler on that CPU....H100i to go inline with that awesome case you have.

Reaction score
Modular power supplies make cable management a bit easier also. I had enough parts to put together a computer for my granddaughter but I had to use an older power supply with all the really thick, heavy power connectors. There's a big wad of unused cables stuffed into an unused drive bay and it doesn't look good at all compared to my new Corsair case. The Corsair case by the way has more room behind the motherboard than two other cases I have and it makes it easier to get the side cover on over all the wires and cables snaking through there. I think the Vengeance is a pretty nice case. It sets on my desk top just a couple feet from me and I can barely hear it and the latches holding the side covers on are pretty cool and make it pretty easy to install or remove covers. I pretty happy with the way this build turned out.

I haven't tried liquid cooling yet. I'm not a gamer so I don't stress the system much and the fan coolers have been sufficient to keep the temperatures at a safe level. My CPU temperature at the moment is hovering at 29°C.

Ask a Question