The Start Menu is back...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think this is a surprise, given the reaction from customers and direction MS have been heading in...:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574830/windows-9-start-menu-new-desktop-experience

This picture sums it up - although we don't know if this is coming to a further Windows 8 update or a fresh version that we assume will be Windows 9:

Windows 9 Start Menu.jpg

Reaction score
It does not happen to my Win 8.1 Update 1.
I suppose it is for Win 9.

I had been using Start8 in my Win 8.1 Pro.
I uninstalled it just to see what the native Win 8.1 Update 1 Start button has to offer.
This is what I have found....
1. The rumour of MS bringing back Start Menu does not happen. Maybe it will be in Win 9.
2. Left click at the Start button will go to the Metro Start screen. That bypasses the charm bar step.
3. Right click at the button will get this.........

1-jpg.26840

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bugger, I just updated another thread here about this preview at Build.

Dave, that is the WIN-X key combo. Pretty cool for admins/power users. Also you can change the Command prompt to be PowerShell prompt.

I think it was Paul Thurrot that hinted, through his sources, that the new Start Menu might get to us before Win 9.

Reaction score
I'm glad that Microsoft will improve Windows 9, adding the new Start Menu.
A lot of Windows 8 users asked Microsoft for the Start Menu, and they will do it :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Evidently there is a new leaked Alpha build in the wild, which we'll probably be seeing and hearing about soon. http://www.neowin.net/news/new-start-menu-leaks-in-windows-build-9788

That new start menu looks promising but......
I'm going to bet that the little text at the very bottom that says "All Apps" will likely take you to the "All Apps" version of the start screen rather than producing and robust sub-menu like people are probably wanting.

Reaction score
Yeah lets not talk about Win8 here. That is a thing of the past. Something I want to forget, sooner the better. Hahaha

Ask a Question