SOLVED Unable to partition USB Drive - "The specified disk is not convertible"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a bit of an odd problem with a USB drive that had previously partitioned as a Linux boot drive. I used diskpart to "clean" the drive so that I could create a fresh NTFS partition, however I get the following error in Disk Management when trying to create a partition:

"The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks."

I've tried several methods to create a partition on the drive, however I'm unable to do so either via Disk Management or Diskpart.

Has anyone come across this before? Perhaps the drive is faulty, but I suspect I'm overlooking something.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
hmmmmm.
Can't say that I have. DiskPart clean usually does it for me.
Have you had a look at it with something like
https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html
I usually use the free bootable CD version so as not to have any outside interference that may be misinterpreting the information.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Perfect! That did the trick - I tried it in Windows before making the boot CD and it worked in seconds. Strange that the MS tools couldn't do it, but at least this worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad it worked.
I have absolutely no idea why DiskPart fumbled the ball, that's usually my go to utility for most hard disk work.
I also have the full paid for version of Acronis Disk Director 12 which works pretty good as well, from its' own boot media.
I tend to like doing things off-line rather than from within the OS

Ask a Question