unwanted upgrade

Reaction score
my hp pavillion auto updated to windows 10, all looked ok for a couple of hours. then the left click on start stopped working, cortana finds anything i type but will not open anything and the internet explorer tile is blank. luckily i had chrome on the desk top or i wouldnt be able to use the internet.already i hate it, tried going back to previous 8.1 but no way of doing it, there is only a windows 7 option but that dont work either. tried numerous ideas on the web but none works. the old windows file is still there. can someone point me in the right direction. dont want a full reinstall and lose anything on hd.

thanks wayne

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello wayne and welcome to the forum.
then the left click on start stopped working, cortana finds anything i type but will not open anything and the internet explorer tile is blank. luckily i had chrome on the desk top or i wouldnt be able to use the internet.already i hate it
Can you try creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user), just temporarily to test the install and see if it is a global windows problem or a problem with your profile being corrupt?
Try right clicking on the Start Button and from that context menu choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith
See what works and what doesn't with the new user account.

NOTE: This is just a temporary work around for testing and you can name the user anything you want, it doesn't have to be JohnSmith, you can use anything you want (Tom, Dick or Harry)... it won't make a difference

Ask a Question