using usb to install

Reaction score
HI,New to this forum,heres my question i have a 64gb flas drive,but it has win 7 backup on it can i partition it and use the balance for win 10 download,thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It would probably be good, if we knew in advance what your ultimate goal is.
If your goal is to have something bootable, then that answer is probably..... no.
In most instances a bootable USB device requires preparation in advance for that purpose and if you search on line you'll find that most prep utilities will wipe the device to get it ready.
If all you want is the ISO file to perform an in-place upgrade from, then you can put that file in and on anything. You can place it in a folder on the USB drive.

Once you have the ISO file then you can mount it from within Windows 8 or Windows 10 and perform the upgrade from there by simply evoking the setup.exe application.
If you have Windows 7 you will need an additional tool to mount the ISO. Microsoft provides one that they say will work although I've never tried it. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

Or you can use something like 7zip to extract the contents of the ISO file, where ever you want to place it on the USB drive and again run the setup.exe application from there.
You can google that process or simply right click the ISO and chose extract here.

Finally, if the contents of the USB drive is critical to you then I would strongly suggest copying them off to an alternate location in advance of using the device for anything else other than storage.

Reaction score
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 129 °F
Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc
Graphics
Panasonic-TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (EVGA) 124 °F
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DX 001-1CM162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 105 °F
465GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0740 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 97 °F
59GB PNY USB 3.0 FD USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
heres my specs.
I thought that i may be able to dual boot using the 2nd partition on the 1 TB HDD the only problem i see is i have not done complete procedure yet on how it is done is this feasible,thanks

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The "free" upgrade to Windows 10 is intended as just that..... an upgrade.
You will not be able to perform a clean install unless you have first performed an upgrade or you have purchased the product.

Ask a Question