SOLVED W10 1703 or 1709

T_J

Reaction score
My 2012 Dell desktop had 1703 working perfect, and I made a system image of 1703 & McAfee LiveSafe.

'Windows Update' (1709 update) failed several times (1.28 Mbps DSL). I uninstalled McAfee, then 'windows update' updated Dell to 1709, and I made a system image of 1709 & Defender.

Since I've updated to 1709 & Defender, I can't get LifeSafe to Run/Save Setup-exe and install (I tried several times). But if I restore the 1703 & LiveSafe image, LiveSafe works perfect. Lucky for me I bought LiveSafe from Amazon and didn't pay a lot.

How long can you run W10 1703? Can I use 1703 & LiveSafe for the next 11 months (until my LiveSafe subscription ends), then just restore my 1709 & Defender image? I've restored with both images, each image is on a separate USB My Passport. 1709 upgrade failed once with McAfee uninstalled. Takes maybe 6 hours for 'Windows Update' for 1709, I just let it run overnight. McAfee community forum wasn't much help.

Thanks

Reaction score
TJ Try this, Open Defender Security Centre, click on Allow app through Controlled Folder Access.
Add (allow) LifeSafe app through "Controlled Access Folders" to the list of permissions.
I haven't tried turning off the "Controlled Folder Acess" but, I would think it would also work for you. I added CCleaner and Malwarebytes to the controlled folder access after the 1709 update.

T_J

Reaction score
I checked my Dell with 1709, and it already had the 'Controlled Folder Access' set to OFF. I did try turning the 'Real-time protection' OFF (only last a short time before it turns back on automatically), and McAfee failed to install. I'll use Defender and maybe install Malwarebytes. Only paid $19 for LiveSafe (key code) on Amazon. Thanks

Reaction score
TJ You'll have good protection with Defender and Malwarebytes.
I think Malwarebytes Premium is still only $29/yr for up to 3 licences. Mambam Premium is value for the money, It includes real time Web Protection, Ransomware, Exploit and Malware Protection.

T_J

Reaction score
I had a few extra hours Wednesday / Thursday, so I restored W10 1703 & LiveSafe 'system image'. This time instead of uninstalling McAfee LiveSafe for a major Windows update (which is recommended by McAfee); I turned OFF these items in LiveSafe > Real Time Scanning, Firewall, Auto Updates, and Scheduled Scans (basically everything I could turn OFF) before all the update downloading. Defender then may have turned ON its firewall, etc.(?).

After 16 hours of >> downloading (1.28 Mbps), installing, more downloading, installing, restarting several times, etc.; I now have W10 1709 and McAfee LiveSafe both working great. I made a new image with 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7). Can't wait for the next major Windows 10 update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's good news. One more thing, turn ON System Restore and create a manual Restore Point. ;)

T_J

Reaction score
One thing I just noticed is that Photoshop Elements 9 appears to be functional in 1709.
Photoshop Elements 9 did not work right in 1703, could not see most of the menu selections, etc.

My other old software programs which worked in 1703 still seem to be working in 1709. MS Office Starter 2010 (Dell installed free on 2012 desktop), 2008 Garmin MapSource (Lake, Topo).

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
There may have been a specific reason McAfee LiveSafe would not reinstall after I uninstalled it for the 1709 update. Post below was in the McAfee Community LiveSafe forum. I saw this post after I used my Turn-Off everything in LiveSafe method in reply 5, which worked. I have not tried method below.

Hello t_j
Please try the below steps and see if you are able to install
1. Visit the start-up folder (Open Run dialogue and type shell:startup > click OK)
2. check for entry named $mcreboot... and delete it
3. Retry the installation which should work fine

Last edited:

Ask a Question