W10 & Our Privacy.

Reaction score
On another forum someone posted the following which has got me thinking of my privacy...

' People should be very careful about upgrading to Win10. There are a number
of issues.

* If you do the default install, it shares all your WiFi credentials with
anyone on your contact list who wanders into WiFi range.

* Unless you have the professional version, it will install updates and drivers
automatically, without giving you an option to opt out. People with NVidia
graphics are getting bit by this.

* If you do the default install, it will assume it can use *your* bandwidth to
help push updates to other computers around the internet. Yes, it will
use up your bandwidth cap, and/or cost you if you pay by Gb, to reduce MS's
bandwidth costs, without asking.

* "Diagnostic" data gathered about your system and its use can now be seen
not only by MS, but by anyone they deem a 'trusted partner' (which would seem
to mean their checks don't bounce).

* Games such as Solitaire now have video ads, which you have to pay MS $10/year
to opt out of.'

If all this is true...can I opt out of the above? (If yes, how?)

Reaction score
If you have a secure router then no problems. Leave your router open then anyone can get in your PC no matter how much protection you have installed. When you talk on Cellphone it can be listened to and or located easier. There is no more privacy protection in the world we live in. Heck I didn't watch a certain channel I paid for and cable company sent me an email to remind me I was paying for this channel.

Reaction score
If you have a secure router then no problems. Leave your router open then anyone can get in your PC no matter how much protection you have installed. When you talk on Cellphone it can be listened to and or located easier. There is no more privacy protection in the world we live in. Heck I didn't watch a certain channel I paid for and cable company sent me an email to remind me I was paying for this channel.
I know privacy doesn't really exist today but the question was are we less private with the "upgrade" to 10?
ARE they now gathering information where they didn't with 8.1?

Reaction score
The information gathering is largely unchanged in Win 10. The only difference between it and earlier versions is Cortana, and if you think about it you'll quickly realize that an electronic personal assistant is like a human one and required to know a lot about you to serve you better. If you are afraid it is too invasive, don't use Cortana.

But, really, if you have a cell phone, particularly a smart phone, you already have the biggest spy on your conversations, habits, and the locations you visit, that exists today. Your very conversations are kept on your ISP's servers.

And, remember - not everyone loves Microsoft, and some people, even public figures that are supposed to be neutral, will say things completely untrue in an effort to discredit MS. Some of the "news" sites are owned by direct competitors.

Reaction score
"
* Games such as Solitaire now have video ads, which you have to pay MS $10/year
to opt out of.'
"

A quick search will find the original ( Windows 7 or 8) solitaires that can be installed free, no ads. ...and they are better looking that the new W10 versions.

Reaction score
Suspect this all has to do with required "log-in" to 10. Homey don't play that. I do not log into my refrigerator, my toaster, my washing machine, or any other APPLIANCE in my house. Not about to do that with my computer. Took mine back to Geek Squad (fellow there told me he's not trying 10 for 3 months on his own machines at home) and they restored it back to 7....whew!

Reaction score
Somewhere in the 'old' control panel you turn off the 'require a password to log on stuff'. I just went back to the log on with a local account as that is the way I like my PC.

Reaction score
I suspect that whoever helped me set up my system (with router, etc... - we have 3 computers and two lap-tops) must have done that. I do not recall EVER having to deal with logging on. Certainly my Amiga (remember those?) never required it...;-))))

Reaction score
There is a complete answer to your question in this forum 'How to disable login screen in W10'

Reaction score
Ah yes the security thing. I live on 2 acres... somebody would have to get up real close to the house to access my system. Since I work here and live here - unlikely. So no log-ins needed ever. I'm an artist - doubt if anybody would wanna "steal" anything from my computers anyways...LOL...;-)))) But in terms of actually USING 10 - if it ain't fun it ain't gonna happen. 10 is super fast and has some really nice features which I would like to get the hang of - Cortana, for one. But I'll stick with 7 until they make 10 as easy to use. The log-in thing needs to be resolved for sure....

Reaction score
Trouble is that one has to login with a MS account to use Cortana. I am annoyed by that...I don't mind having an MS account and I don't mind Cortana using it but I am going to continue with my local account.

Reaction score
Bummer.... Maybe maybe I'll wander into the 21st century...eventually, not sure. I sort of like my privacy....Facebook is about as public as I get. Not sure there's much difference, though, now that you have to sign into Facebook and youtube (gosh google made a mess of that recently)...argh!....;-))))

Ask a Question