Well today is Update Tuesday..... Again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
People talk about auto updates but they are the same one that complain when things don't work right and it is caused by not being updated.
Agreed.
Except for those occasional times a hardware driver update results in less than optimal results, like...... oh, I don't know, say......
A black screen
or
A reboot loop
or
A BSOD

I certainly don't mind getting system updates with respect to OS files but I do not think that Microsoft should be in the business of trying to provide hardware drivers for my system.
If they want to try..... I can respect that. Let me go to their Update Catalog and download it myself and try it.
I can even appreciate, that they want their new Flagship OS to be as broadly compatible as possible, so I suppose.... try they must, but.....
I am always going to believe that the option to install a hardware driver should be left up to the owner of the hardware.

Reaction score
Agreed.
Except for those occasional times a hardware driver update results in less than optimal results, like...... oh, I don't know, say......
A black screen
or
A reboot loop
or
A BSOD

I certainly don't mind getting system updates with respect to OS files but I do not think that Microsoft should be in the business of trying to provide hardware drivers for my system.
If they want to try..... I can respect that. Let me go to their Update Catalog and download it myself and try it.
I can even appreciate, that they want their new Flagship OS to be as broadly compatible as possible, so I suppose.... try they must, but.....
I am always going to believe that the option to install a hardware driver should be left up to the owner of the hardware.

Who writes the hardware driver? Maybe I am mistaken but I thought manufacture sent out hardware updates to Microsoft. If Microsoft doesn't get a driver update and people get problems then shouldn't hardware manufacture get blame for not sending out driver that works properly? Doesn't Microsoft only use Microsoft drivers when no drivers were available cause hardware manufacture considered product outdated with no support? If I go to Dell website for motherboard drivers there are none available for 10 which I knew before updating and only supported drivers were for Windows 7 but I choose to update anyway knowing that I had to use the universal drivers from Microsoft. I do have a NVIDIA add on card that I checked and they do have universal drivers that will work just not the maker of card and those are sent to Microsoft which is causing problems. I guess if Microsoft could check my hardware and see if there is a conflict between the drivers they use for motherboard and card manufactures drivers before they sent the download that would be great. Problem is so many combinations no way they could do this. So only option we have is stay with supported drivers from manufacture with supported system or take a chance with universal drivers that may clash and get the bright and shiny new operating system. Just a thought.

Reaction score
My smart TV belongs to me and it updates auto without an option when to install. Heck so does my phone. When I turn on the service in my car it auto updates as well without my say. I guess I am missing some of the attachability. LOL

People talk about auto updates but they are the same one that complain when things don't work right and it is caused by not being updated. Go figure.
I had a I phone once id did an update and burnt the wi fi chip out half way through the contract.
The update affected many thousands of phones although apple wouldn't admit liability now i get a phone and dont do the updates just get another phone when the contract runs out.
The point i am making is not all updates are good. ;)

Reaction score
The biggest part of peoples problems are the crap they install and the lack of configuration. Not the lack of updates which in all likely hood does nothing for the issues.

Ask a Question