We've Come a Long Way

Reaction score
tumblr_nf9i0uJj1N1roqv59o1_500.png

Bif

Reaction score
In all honesty there's not a day that goes by that I don't marvel at all the tech in our everyday lives, somedays I wish for the "good old days" again...but all this accessibility kinda grows on you.

Reaction score
There's an app available now that tells you what's in your fridge and suggests dinner menu.
icon_scratch.png

The hi tech fridges are only as smart as the person inputting a grocery list for a family of four. Really who has the time? And what about consumables, eggs, milk.. who has the time to input consumables, are the kids going to input that they drank 500ml of milk? And fools are paying $8,000 CAN for these appliances.

Nothing will change I can hear the Moms now OK! Who drank all the milk. LOL Maybe the fridge will say your husband at 3:00 AM LOL

Reaction score
There's an app available now that tells you what's in your fridge and suggests dinner menu.
icon_scratch.png

The hi tech fridges are only as smart as the person inputting a grocery list for a family of four. Really who has the time? And what about consumables, eggs, milk.. who has the time to input consumables, are the kids going to input that they drank 500ml of milk? And fools are paying $8,000 CAN for these appliances.

Nothing will change I can hear the Moms now OK! Who drank all the milk. LOL Maybe the fridge will say your husband at 3:00 AM LOL
If those refrigerators can track what is in them they certainly can track when things happen but probably not by whodunit.

Reaction score
The problem with a "Smart" home is that the thieves/hackers are getting wise to it very quickly, they can control your house/devices and you won't even know they are doing it!. This also includes alarm system and entry to the house!. :mad:

It does of course have its benefits too but I don't want one, well not yet anyway!:

https://home.howstuffworks.com/smart-home3.htm :D

Reaction score
I would not have even known what a "gb" was in 1981. First real user computer memoy I have, (on PCs) is a 20 mb HD and no storage, somewhere around 1984, I think.

Reaction score
I would not have even known what a "gb" was in 1981. First real user computer memoy I have, (on PCs) is a 20 mb HD and no storage, somewhere around 1984, I think.
HaHa I got you beat. Mine had 30 mb and...wait for it.......Dual 5-1/4 floppies. What a smoker!

Reaction score
Place I worked in 1982 had those old 300 MB disks the size of washing machines and I remember we had to buy some new drives for another mini-computer. $10,000 for 160MB

Reaction score
The first time I went into a computer firm, they had tapes on spinning wheels, they were IBM machines but don't ask me what kind, that was in the early 70's!. :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
Yes we had those, huge IBM machines with the I/O in red metal cabinets, and tape drives.

Reaction score
It would have been a System/360 or perhaps a 370 depending on how early in the '70s it was.

Nothing like watching a System/360 doing a 4 tape sort using those fast vacuum column tape drives. Reels zooming around, zillions of flashing lights on the console and those tape drives were noisy as well. That was the heyday of the 1403 line printer as well, really fast, 600 to 1100 lines a minute and incredibly noisy.
The only program I ever wrote for an IBM mainframe read an ASCII tape with program listing from a PDP-11 and converted the text to EBCDIC and printed it on one of those printers. In PL/1 whats more. That was in early 1974.

Reaction score
Yes it was 1974, IBM 360 it ran an 8 unit 500MW power plant. Being in maintenance, I would occasionally have to do a restart / reset, date-time... I hated having to convert the inputs and then toggle all those binary input switches. When it comes to computers these are the good old days. At least for a week or so. LOL

220px-IBM_System_360_model_30_profile.agr.jpg
220px-IBM_System360_Model_30.jpg

Reaction score
The one I used was in the UK. In those days IBM machines came with 60Hz only power supplies ( arrogant not) so our machine had a motor generator in the computer room to convert 50Hz power to 60Hz power.

The machine in your picture had disks that were the cutting edge in the '70s. Winchesters they were called and there are two tape drives of a type I don't remember mounter above them.

Reaction score
All of which proves that my memory is not good for looking at computers over a 45 year period. Since '74 I have only seen one IBM mainframe in the flesh it would have been either a 3081 or the last of the big System 370 range and I don't remember which but I believe it was water cooled. I was a DEC guy. PDPs and Vax.

Anyway. As you say, the good old days.

Ask a Question