Wifi and ethernet connection

Reaction score
I have replaced my laptop and although I can access the Internet on the laptop I am unable to access my five other PCs running windows 10 which are connected as a wired network

Reaction score
Can your other PCs see the laptop? Is the laptop on the same IP network as the others?
On the other PCs if you click on Network under This PC on File manager can you see the other machines. And the same on the Laptop?

Reaction score
Can your other PCs see the laptop? Is the laptop on the same IP network as the others?
On the other PCs if you click on Network under This PC on File manager can you see the other machines. And the same on the Laptop?
Hi I can see three PCs up and running from my main PC only if if I click on the router VMG8924-B10A. on another one it shows picturers of the three PCs from file manager. One PC shows that V7CQMVB is not responding - don't know what that name refers to?
On the laptop it shows the V7CQMVB number. Rechecking the main PC file manager has Computer (1) has DESKTOP-V7CQMV8 and below that: Network infrastructure (1)
VMG8924-B10A

DESKTOP-V7CQMV8 is clickable and provides the folders for the laptop, but all well and good! Windows 10 does not recognize it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi I can see three PCs up and running from my main PC only if if I click on the router VMG8924-B10A. on another one it shows picturers of the three PCs from file manager. One PC shows that V7CQMVB is not responding - don't know what that name refers to?
On the laptop it shows the V7CQMVB number. Rechecking the main PC file manager has Computer (1) has DESKTOP-V7CQMV8 and below that: Network infrastructure (1)
VMG8924-B10A

DESKTOP-V7CQMV8 is clickable and provides the folders for the laptop, but all well and good! Windows 10 does not recognize it!
I have renamed the laptop and that name is now seen under network. This is a second hand laptop maybe there is some remnants that are interfering with the access to the ethernet? The laptop now shows other PCs that are presently on

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have renamed the laptop and that name is now seen under network. This is a second hand laptop maybe there is some remnants that are interfering with the access to the ethernet? The laptop now shows other PCs that are presently on
I have now been able to access one of the PC's files (needed to login). Next need access to the PC that is connected to my printer. Cant access the printer PC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since most Wireless Routers have 1 Uplink port and 4 ports for devices I've added an 8-port Switch for my 5 Desktop computers, 2 printers and 2 NAS drives, all connected via Ethernet cable and can connect Wireless Notebooks as desired. I can also Map the 2 NAS drives to access data stored on them. The 'beauty' of the arrangement is no one computer has to be running. In replacing a printer I just have to shop those with the Ethernet port and disable the Wireless/Wireless Direct/Wi-Fi on them. Win10 has been pretty good in finding the printers using either type connection to the Router, gets the basics.

Reaction score
I have a similar arrangement Bighorn. An 8 point switch from the router. The laptop finds the router so the laptop can use the Internet. has Windows 10 prevented my laptop conecting to the ethernet? My old laptop could access the printer.

Reaction score
If a Wireless/Wi-Fi connection gets to the Router it should also get Internet service unless an ISP meters/throttles the number of connections. I haven't had an ISP issue in that with the number of devices with 9 Wired and 4 Wireless at the moment. Oops, forgot wife's Kindle so it's 5 Wireless connections. My ISP provides a PoE Modem and dish for Wireless DSL and I provide everything else.

Ask a Question