Wifi changes to Ethernet when plugged in

Reaction score
When ever I plug my wifi into the computer (usb, not into Ethernet socket or plug) the connection shows Ethernet and does not work.... as soon as I disconnect the wifi, goes back to normal wifi mode,,, I have disabled Ethernet numerous times,,, tried going into Network settings and changing the advanced banding that wifi is first on the priority list,, but after saving just goes back to Ethernet as the priority,,,, I had a problem with the connection some time ago and a "Professional" made changes to see if this worked,,, but causing lots of problems,,, all I want is to turn on,,, and if needed plug in to wifi,, NOT Ethernet... Please help

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking. By default windows, any of them will use one connection and only one.

Is the PC connected by Cat5e cable and wifi at the same time....if so....back to above.

Reaction score
Windows will 'prefer' a direct connection over WiFi. Although if the Wifi is 11.ac running at full speed and the ethernet is only 100Mb/s I have a feeling that Windows will prefer the fastest connection ( assuming they are both to the same network.

Roxane it sounds like you want your laptop to work over Wifi most of the time but if, for whatever reason, you need to do a direct connection to the internet you want that to be seamless and to come back automatically to wifi when you pull the wire out. Is that correct?

FWIW I have a laptop with a dubious internal WiFi device and I do exactly that. Normally I just let it WiFi but if I am to do a big download I plug it into the router for speed and reliability.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When ever I plug my wifi into the computer (usb, not into Ethernet socket or plug) the connection shows Ethernet and does not work
Maybe you could explain what you mean by that statement, by explaining what components you have installed on your computer.
Integrated wireless adapter (as in most laptops and some desktops)?
Integrated wired Ethernet adapter RJ45 (as in some laptops and most desktops)
External USB wireless dongle?
Add in Ethernet card?
As well as any multiples and the manufacturer and model name of each?

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking. By default windows, any of them will use one connection and only one.

Is the PC connected by Cat5e cable and wifi at the same time....if so....back to above.
My computer shows both Wifi and Ethernet at the same time If I turn wifi on. But it is only using the Ethernet

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty understanding the problem. It appears that you have the Ethernet cable plugged into the Laptop if so, it will select DSL over WiFi. Wifi will connect only if in it has good signal strengh..Have you tried the native Network troubleshooting to see if it picks up any type anomaly with the Ethernet Wireless and network adapters..

Ask a Question