WiFi only limited connection

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there another way I should look for this?
Hard for me to say or guess.
A couple things you might look at.
Windows logo key and hit the R key and type
ncpa.cpl
Right click the problem adapter(s) and choose properties.
In the "This connection uses the following items: box scroll and see if there is any references to old security software.
ALSO
Open device manager, right click the Windows Start button and choose it from the menu list.
From the "View" menu in the toolbar at the top select
Show hidden devices
See if that shows any problem devices if so right click them and uninstall them and reboot.
Also while still in device manager showing hidden devices double check "Software devices"
I seem to remember some old AV software like Vipre from SunBelt Software adding items in there.

Kat

Reaction score
Again, thank you for the suggestions. I followed your instructions and found nothing unusual or referencing any old security software. I would rollback to Windows 7, but it tells me to plug in before starting and I am plugged in.....

Reaction score
For anyone still struggling with this issue....

I had a limited wifi connection after recently upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1
what worked for me was logging into my router and changing the security from AES to TKIP.
once I changed that and reset the router. I forgot my old connection by clicking on the wifi icon at the bottom right of the screen and selecting "network settings" -> "Manage Wifi Settings" -> under "Manage known Networks" clicked my wifi connection (this would have the previous security settings saved) and clicked "forget"
After that, I reconnected to my wifi again as normal and everything worked fine.

Hope this helps someone.

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. had a very lengthy and heated discussion with Microsoft IT guy yesterday. I have the same problem with my Microsoft Surface. I was told this was a "known issue" and they are "working on it". The ONLY solution to the problem, as I was told BY Microsoft, was to rollback to 8.1 and wait for the fix to be put out as an update. I did ask them, specifically, if I rolled back to Windows 8.1, how would I get an update for Window 10, and I felt the blank glassy-eyed stare through the phone. It blows my mind that their brand new OS doesn't work with their flagship computer. Seriously?

Reaction score
Day before yesterday, I updated my OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. But after the update my WiFi is showing limited connectivity. I disabled and re-enabled my WiFi adapter, tried to Roll Back the WiFi driver, then updated the driver, tried to disable the IPv6. I even tried the following commands in the Command Prompt (admin):
reg delete HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f

netcfg -v -u dni_dne

But it says that it is not installed.

I tried to make my phone a hotspot and connect to the internet. It worked.
I assumed, maybe its the router that might have some problem, and so I took my laptop to my friends place and tried connecting to his WiFi network. I got the same problem again (The WiFi shows limited connectivity).

Could somebody please help me out here?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could somebody please help me out here?
If it connects through your phone's wifi hotspot then it probably isn't your computer with the problem.
Your assumption about the router may be correct.
Try some experimenting with your Wireless Router's security.
First try running it Open / No encryption.
IF you computer connects then try experimenting upward
WEP and then WPA and the WPA2.
You can then try experimenting with the WPA2 settings with respect to AES versus TKIP and see if any of that makes any difference.
Don't neglect to also experiment with the wireless channel your router is using

Reaction score
If it connects through your phone's wifi hotspot then it probably isn't your computer with the problem.
Your assumption about the router may be correct.
Try some experimenting with your Wireless Router's security.
First try running it Open / No encryption.
IF you computer connects then try experimenting upward
WEP and then WPA and the WPA2.
You can then try experimenting with the WPA2 settings with respect to AES versus TKIP and see if any of that makes any difference.
Don't neglect to also experiment with the wireless channel your router is using

But I also tried with my friend's WiFi network at his place. If its not able to there as well, then it has to be some driver issue right?

My phone is able to connect to all of these networks though

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I also tried with my friend's WiFi network at his place
I'm not hear to argue. I made some suggestions, that you can try.... or not.
If your friends wireless router is using the same or similar configuration as yours with respect to any of the various encryption models including TKIP or AES or 3DES or whatever, then you need to at least attempt to change things up by experimenting and seeing if you can manage to get some configuration on your router that your WiFi can work with.
That is why I suggested running your Router Open, without any encryption first. If it works then you might suspect that just perhaps you are on the right track.
If not then you can set things back as they were and you can then be certain that the issue is not your router.
AS I said above.... if it worked with your phone acting as a wifi hotspot then it is not likely your computer. Of course, I could be wrong..... just ask my wife how often that happens.:)

Reaction score
I'm not hear to argue. I made some suggestions, that you can try.... or not.
If your friends wireless router is using the same or similar configuration as yours with respect to any of the various encryption models including TKIP or AES or 3DES or whatever, then you need to at least attempt to change things up by experimenting and seeing if you can manage to get some configuration on your router that your WiFi can work with.
That is why I suggested running your Router Open, without any encryption first. If it works then you might suspect that just perhaps you are on the right track.
If not then you can set things back as they were and you can then be certain that the issue is not your router.
AS I said above.... if it worked with your phone acting as a wifi hotspot then it is not likely your computer. Of course, I could be wrong..... just ask my wife how often that happens.:)

I did what you suggested. I kept the router open without any encryption, Although, it still shows limited connectivity. Any more ideas? :(

Reaction score
I have been working on this issue on a Dell Vostro 3550 just upgraded to Windows 10 with the yellow exclamation on the network connectivity. My solution to the problem has been to manually override the driver from Dell Wireless 1702 b/g/n to 1703 b/g/n, and then change in advanced settings HT mode from HT Mode 40 to HT Mode 20/40

While installing another driver beforehand, it blue-screened and would not boot back into windows, I had to go into safe mode and uninstall the wrong network driver and reboot before I could continue testing others, so be prepared that this can happen.

Hope this helps someone else!

Reaction score
For anyone still struggling with this issue....

I had a limited wifi connection after recently upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1
what worked for me was logging into my router and changing the security from AES to TKIP.
once I changed that and reset the router. I forgot my old connection by clicking on the wifi icon at the bottom right of the screen and selecting "network settings" -> "Manage Wifi Settings" -> under "Manage known Networks" clicked my wifi connection (this would have the previous security settings saved) and clicked "forget"
After that, I reconnected to my wifi again as normal and everything worked fine.

Hope this helps someone.

Hey Keesa Thank you very much .. I`ve tried so many things, I updated my modem firmware, updated my windows 10, changed so many settings but the only thing that worked to me it was changing the security from AES to TIKP !!!! I also talked to Dell`s support but they couldn`t help me. Thank you again. Sry about my poor English .. I`m Brazilian ..

Reaction score
Click the windows button and type Run and press Enter . You will see a dialog popping up . Enter "ncpa.cpl"and Press enter . You will see the list of connections . RIght click the wifi adapter and select properties .Select the ipv4 from the list . Enter these details in the corresponsing box . Prefered dns server : 208.67.222.222 Alternate DNs server 208.67.220.220 . Check verify upon exit . Thats it done

Yam

Reaction score
My wifi conectivy only last about 3 min. Drops and then reconnects with limited Internet . Something about incorrect default gateway? Troubleshooting fixes the problem and then same thing again.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I had the same problem - limited wifi after upgrade do windows 10. I've noticed by accident that this problem was only when my laptop wasn't connected do power source... THAT IT! The problem is with power settings - on battery wifi is set as saving mode - change it do max performance and no more limited wifi!

Reaction score
I too have had similar issues. I think mine could possibly be caused by 3rd party antivirus software. The only way I can connect is to restart and connect to wifi BEFORE I log back in. Not a permanent solution but it got me online.

Reaction score
After installing windows 10 preview I can't connect to Internet? No problem connecting access point but no connection to Internet. Installed on a Dell laptop.

Hi Terry. I had this problem as well. After trying most of these steps, I uninstalled my VPN software and that resolved my "limited connectivity" problem. Do you run Cyberghost, Hotspot, etc? If you do, try uninstalling.

Reaction score
Go to Device manager > Network adapter > Choose your Device > Right click and update > Choose browse > Choose let me pick > and then pick the device with latest date. If there's no date commonly it's the bottom one.

I sometime suggest this to my costumer Most of the time it works I hope this would help.

Ask a Question