WIN 10 Pro Upgrade and Folder $WINDOWS.~TMP

Reaction score
Hello, I have just gone through the most difficult and time consuming business of Upgrading my Win 7 Pro 64bit PC to Win 10 Pro. After an First initial Failure, (7 Hours) due apparently, to 35 Missing Important Windows Updates. I thought this would have been identified by the Upgrade (Check for Updates) and corrected before proceeding. I then installed these Updates and then I ran the Win 10 ISO Disc. (Overnight) During the period of Upgrading, I was informed that I did not have sufficient Disc Space available, even though I had 28GB Free Space (Now 100GB after Upgrade) on my C: Drive. It gave me the Option of selecting another Drive to continue. I selected my P: Drive and away it went to end up with a successful Win 10 Upgrade Installation.
This has left me with the problem of what should I do with the $WINDOWS.~TMP Folder (containing 8 Files), located on my P: Drive, as I was informed "Do not lose these Files as they may be required for a Reversal back to Win 7"
Well, I do not want them to remain on the P:Drive, as this Drive id for other purposes. I feel they can and should be moved to C:, but just where. Should that Folder and its Files be located in the C: Root or should it reside within another Root Folder. C: currently has these Windows Folders - $WINDOWS.~BT, $WINDOWS.~WS, WINDOWS and WINDOWS.old.

Question is::: Where should it be located, for it to function correctly, in the event of having to Reverse back to Win 7.

As an aside, I checked another machine I had recently performed the same Upgrade on, but which had plenty of Free Space for the Upgrade to run, unhindered. The above stated Folder does not exist on this machine.
As this Upgrade would have created the same set of Files, where, have they been stored on this machine????

Question::: Would it not be correct to believe, that the Files contained within the $WINDOWS.~TMP Folder, can be individually copied to the exact same locations, on the my C:, so as to replicate the File and Folder Structure on the machine that did not have the Free Space Issue.

I need assurance that whatever is recommended and what I do as in response, will not stuff this new installation, in respect of being able to revert back to Win 7, if the occasion for this ever rose.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what actions are required of me, to overcome this Issue.
Thank You in anticipation.

Reaction score
I would first check and see if "Show hidden files" is enabled on the other machine and see if you can locate the $WINDOWS.~TMP Folder. The folder may be hidden in the Root Folder?

Type "folders" In the search bar. "Show hidden files and folders" > File Explorer Options > View tab, select
"Show hidden files folders and drives".
Apply>OK Then open Explorer to view the files.

Deleting temp files
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/92635

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you, I had not thought of that because I was able to see the other two $WINDOWS. However I had done what you said, but search found Zero instances of $WINDOWS.~TMP.

Reaction score
Owen Thanks for the update.
I believe Windows requires at least 200 MB of free space for storing temp files, you only had 28 MB.
When you selected your "P" drive, Windows stored the temp files on "P" and the install completed successfully.

My $WINDOWS.~WS was a whopping 65MB. Windows doesn't do a great job at cleaning up temp files.
Question: Do you run CCleaner? It's good for cleaning temp files and its not too aggressive.

Reaction score
According to MS, Free Space required for 32bit is 16GB and for 64bit it is 20GB, very misleading, in my case anyway, as 28BG was not enough. The extra Free Space required was, like, 6.56 GB.
In respect of $WINDOWS.¬TMP, according to the Message I was given, this Folder must be maintained, for potential later use, that is why I want to move it to a secure location onto my C: and I am assuming C: Root, like the other Special Temp Folders (.¬Whatever)
I just need someone with experience of this, to tell me exactly where I locate it.
Thank you

Reaction score
Owen C:Root That's where mine were located.
The folders in question $WINDOWS.~BT, $WINDOWS.~WS are temp folders created by Windows, during the upgrade process. I deleted both Temp folders from the C:Root and also deleted WINDOWS.old.from the Windows Folder. If I remember correctly, I gained 15 GB of HD space. I made a back up copy of $WINDOWS.~BT, $WINDOWS.~WS and stored them on an external HD just in case. I have been running without a glitch since they were deleted. If I were you I would leave them both on your "P" drive. rather than take up space on your C: drive.
It's your call!

Ask a Question