Win 10 stopped opening

Reaction score
i have been running win 10 for several days. Slow but running. Today it closed down while I was playing tripeaks. Tried everything. Turning it on it flashes the startup screen then goes blank with a high pitched beeping and a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. I have unplugged and held the on off button, problem remains

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
with a high pitched beeping
Is there a pattern to the beeping?
Generally this will often indicate a physical problem with the system hardware (memory, or video, or motherboard / CPU).
Not sure how computer savvy you might be, but sometimes various components can be loose or poorly seated and removing them and reseating them can help.

When you turn it on do you see the BIOS screen or a screen of any type, before the beeping starts?

Reaction score
Just I high pitched beep. I get the splash screen then it goes blank. This is an HP all in one so getting to the components is an issue.
I have run the diaogonists and the only one that will not even move is the surface scan on the aux hard drive. I wonder if it would make a difference if I disconnected it?
I can't get to the safe mode. I think I have worn out the F8 key trying. Also tried to get to task manager with no luck. I realize that some of these things are accessed differently in win 10.
Thanks for your interest. Hope I can get this resolved.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if it would make a difference if I disconnected it?
That's the first thing that I would try. I'd also unplug any other peripherals that are un-needed, including any wireless dongles (Bluetooth, wifi, keyboard, mouse dongles) and attach a wired keyboard and mouse just to cover all my bases.
F8 will not get you into safemode on a Windows 10 machine and getting into safemode on a machine that will not boot is a bit tricky and convoluted but if you are willing to try, here's how....

Boot into the Windows Recovery Environment either by using a Recovery Disk that you've made, or the original Installation Media.
Choose Repair, Advanced Troubleshooting, Command Prompt and type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
reboot your PC and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.

To return your boot menu to normal
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Reaction score
The surface scan is running the second pass on the aux drive. It took well over an hour to do the first scan. When it is done I will follow your suggestion and disconnect everything. Will have to dig in my ghost closet for wired keyboard and mouse, been a long time.

Reaction score
Disconnected everything. No help. I have a universal boot dick that boots into win 7. Which is what was on before updating. I ran the boot sector repair and anything else that sounded like it might allow it to boot up. No luck. Any more ideas.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At this point, my only suggestion would be to boot from the installation media "Windows 10".
On the second page you will see a link "repair your PC"
click that and then use the advanced troubleshooting options and see if something in there will help with the problem
System Restore probably first and then you have two more options
Go Back to
AND
Reset under Startup Repair Advanced Options
I would certainly use a Linux Live CD or something else to copy off all my critical data to an external resource before going forward.

Reaction score
Still will not get into Windows. Think I have a bad track zero. Have tried several fixes to no avail. I fear it is time to "take it in". Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question