Windows 10 computer not showing up on windows 7 network

Reaction score
So .... I am stumped.

I have two windows 10 computers and two windows 7 computers. All hard wired networked.

The two windows 10 computers see each other ... and even see a linux unit I have.

The two windows 7 computers see each other.

Problem .... When on windows 7 file explorer, the windows 10 units show up under Homegroup but not under Network!

The problem here is I am using he older windows 7 units as storage and I want to be able to access each drive not just libraries. Under Homegroup, I only get libraries. If I could get them to show up under Network, then I could look at drives.

Any suggestions???? I have read post after post and tried every setting I can and still no luck. Obviously the computers see each other as they come up under Homegroup ... why don't they appear under network?

Thanks .... Mike

Reaction score
Usually for Peer to Peer network you'll need to set up shares and Security for window 10 to see and be seen.
I select the share and security to Authorized Users.
You'll set in advanced share settings set to user account password protected.
For me when I've had problems its been the Security setting.
Basic Peer to Peer set up is required exact same user name Account and passwords on all network computers.
The latest version of windows 10 is very fussy about these account names being exactly the same. Clinton J. Wright is not the same as Clinton J Wright. this drove me crazy for a couple of days before I figured it out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I found it! I was having the same issue. Windows 10 is defaulted to 128-bit encryption and the older Windows computers are not.
I went to Settings - Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced Sharing Settings - Click the "down arrow" next to "All Networks" - and under File Sharing Connections - clicked "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption.
The other older computers appeared...
I hope this helped!!!

Reaction score
I think I found it! I was having the same issue. Windows 10 is defaulted to 128-bit encryption and the older Windows computers are not.
I went to Settings - Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced Sharing Settings - Click the "down arrow" next to "All Networks" - and under File Sharing Connections - clicked "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption.
The other older computers appeared...
I hope this helped!!!
Thank you! Changed that setting on my desktop and laptop and now can copy files from one to another without any problems! Shows everything on both computers under "Network". Again, thanks!

Ask a Question