SOLVED Windows 10 Dual Boot with Windows 7

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I would be very careful when working with drives that have marginal space available.
The Windows Operating Systems require that you maintain a certain amount of free space in order for them to function properly, usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 to 20%.
Additionally some SSDs require they have their own area of free space available for them to function properly as well.

Reaction score
Personally, I would be very careful when working with drives that have marginal space available.
The Windows Operating Systems require that you maintain a certain amount of free space in order for them to function properly, usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 to 20%.
Additionally some SSDs require they have their own area of free space available for them to function properly as well.
OK I am giving it some space. Thanks.

Reaction score
Here it is.

disk part..PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume he means unallocated space.
According to the legend in Disk Management black indicates unallocated space.
He'll need to first create a new simple partition before he is able to format it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WOW..... 7% free space on C
That doesn't allow much room for any installs or maintaining very many restore points.

Reaction score
Right click at the 21.39 GB Unallocated partition >click New Simple Volume
> click Next
>Next again
>Next one more time
>at Volume Label box, give the partition a name for easy identification
>click Next
> click Finish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
WOW..... 7% free space on C
That doesn't allow much room for any installs or maintaining very many restore points.
As I said earlier, I am getting a 120 GB SSD so will have more space soon. I have restored some of the space too.

Reaction score
Right click at the 21.39 GB Unallocated partition >click New Simple Volume
> click Next
>Next again
>Next one more time
>at Volume Label box, give the partition a name for easy identification
>click Next
> click Finish.

OK, Does this look better?

Disk Space.PNG

Reaction score
But how come you change the allocation amount ?
It was 21.39 GB before.
Just for the heck of it ?

Reaction score
But how come you change the allocation amount ?
It was 21.39 GB before.
Just for the heck of it ?
Trouble suggested that 7% free space could spell problems and since I am not installing anything in this partition I changed it. I am just familiarizing myself with the process so that when I have both Windows 10 and Windows 7 in hand I can dual boot them easily. I am getting a larger drive to accommodate them. I just received an OEM Windows 10 disk and the drive will be here Wednesday. I will up date on my other thread (Windows 10 Install from an OEM Disk) regarding the dual boot. Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Reaction score
OK.
One last question ;
You have setup a new partition.
Do you know how to "undo" the partition and give 6.88 GB back to your main C: drive ?

Reaction score
No, I would look at the Mini Partition utility re; that but I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and it is gone. So, tell me, please.

Reaction score
Widows Diskmgmt.
Right click at the partition you want to remove > click Delete Volume
Right click at the main drive C: > click Extend > next window will show the 6.88 GB ( 6.88 x 10240 MB )> click Next > click Finish.

Ask a Question