SOLVED Windows 10 Help Button

Reaction score
That's it, simply where is the "Help" button? and/or I dont want to have to log into this Forum just to find what should be an easy, quick answer. As you can tell, I downloaded Windows 10 right before the Christmas rush and am having difficulties. Thanks for any HELP this Forum can give me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Corrine and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried the "Get Started" app
Start Button -> All Apps -> Get Started
There's some general information there, but....
Any specifics ..... Well, welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hello Corrine and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried the "Get Started" app
Start Button -> All Apps -> Get Started
There's some general information there, but....
Any specifics ..... Well, welcome to the forum.
Thanks Trouble for responding. How is one to know you have to download an Apps for Getting Started !! But I'll do
it tomorrow. . .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry if I somehow confused you but....
The "Get Started" app should already be on your computer.
It should be just a matter of selecting it from among the All Apps Menu.

Reaction score
Hi Corrine. A welcome from me, also.

Can you single out any particular issues you are having. I can assure you that, in most cases, you will probably get more practical and informative answers from this forum than using the "Help" facility.

Reaction score
Sorry if I somehow confused you but....
The "Get Started" app should already be on your computer.
It should be just a matter of selecting it from among the All Apps Menu.

Thanks for this, Trouble. I found it last night and used it a bit. But it definitely is not the same "Help and Support" Windows 7 (or was it 8?) offerred where a single phrase would produce multiple choices.

Reaction score
Hi Corrine. A welcome from me, also.

Can you single out any particular issues you are having. I can assure you that, in most cases, you will probably get more practical and informative answers from this forum than using the "Help" facility.
And, I agree with you as you may see in my reply to Trouble. OKAY, here is a frustrating thing: I cant seem to resize the screen; cant just grab a margin and drag it; screen is either fullsize or nada.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We should probably start with a Win32 applications and take some time to differentiate those from the newer Windows Universal Apps, so.....
Open Internet Explorer.
Start Button -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer
First of all, for the most part the F1 key in these applications will still produce a help screen, although perhaps not exactly one that you are familiar with.
With Internet explorer open, strike the F1 key.
That should produce a new window (albeit another browser window) you should be able to use the typical controls in the top right corner to minimize, maximize or close it. You should be able to hover your cursor over any edge of the window until it produces a double arrow cursor and use that to click and drag an edge to resize it (or a corner).
Unfortunately due to the new color schema, the "Title Bar" is not as distinct, so in order to drag the window to reposition it to a new location on your monitor you need to be a little bit more precise as to where you are clicking and holding your mouse cursor to get the expected results. Just make sure you are grabbing it very near the very top of the open window.
Most of these controls still work on the Windows Universal Apps as well, except for the F1 key.

Reaction score
You can try this, I would suggest you make an image or backup of your OS first. It has worked for me, as I had the problem, but, as we all know, things can go wrong.
Unzip the attached to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Go to Settings - Personalisation - Themes -Theme Settings
Select the new theme Aero Lite. Reboot or log out and in.

It will produce something like this:

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Aero_Lite_Theme.zip
    1 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
We should probably start with a Win32 applications and take some time to differentiate those from the newer Windows Universal Apps, so.....
Open Internet Explorer.
Start Button -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer
First of all, for the most part the F1 key in these applications will still produce a help screen, although perhaps not exactly one that you are familiar with.
With Internet explorer open, strike the F1 key.
That should produce a new window (albeit another browser window) you should be able to use the typical controls in the top right corner to minimize, maximize or close it. You should be able to hover your cursor over any edge of the window until it produces a double arrow cursor and use that to click and drag an edge to resize it (or a corner).
Unfortunately due to the new color schema, the "Title Bar" is not as distinct, so in order to drag the window to reposition it to a new location on your monitor you need to be a little bit more precise as to where you are clicking and holding your mouse cursor to get the expected results. Just make sure you are grabbing it very near the very top of the open window.
Most of these controls still work on the Windows Universal Apps as well, except for the F1 key.
Thanks Trouble. I probably never should have installed free Windows 10; I was perfectly happy with my other version (but advised to do so). When I got to the other browser window, I hovered over all edges and never received th dbl arrow cursor. But when hovering at the tippy top it did produce a small version of the screen/browser. I figured out how to manipulate this to resize. I have always liked to see my desktop and icons there -- the ones I used frequently (like iTunes, Printer, etc) Thinkiing about this I realized--OMG where are all those programs that used to be on my desktop? I'm even trying to remember them all (its hell to get old). I'm nervous about trying what Dave recommended; I've never done much zipping and unzipping; would I be able to get back to where I was? You get the idea. Corrine

Reaction score
You can try this, I would suggest you make an image or backup of your OS first. It has worked for me, as I had the problem, but, as we all know, things can go wrong.
Unzip the attached to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Go to Settings - Personalisation - Themes -Theme Settings
Select the new theme Aero Lite. Reboot or log out and in.

It will produce something like this:

View attachment 2135
Unfortunately, you're leaving me in the dark here Dave. I'm not that technically savvy; but I used to be 20 yrs ago! Your method is a little complicated for me. . .Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

Ask a Question