Windows 10 update

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop. it had windows 8.1 on it. Now I have updated to Windows 10. well, the first few weeks were great. I love windows 10!! however...now the start menu, Cortana, and the action center/clock screen will not work. please help me. I am incredibly frustrated!

Reaction score
I just received updates as well... Smooth as silk. Windows 10 is Rocking & Rolling.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Sonicbear and welcome to the forum.
Smooth as silk. Windows 10 is Rocking & Rolling.
For we few.
Others would seem to be Rolling that Rock, uphill. I am often amazed at the disparity in the actual results of some of these updates and the vast array of reported problems for some.

Reaction score
Yes. I think there is some randomness deep down in W10. Probably a very simple thing like a few lines of code assuming some data is initialized and it isn't... simple bug to generate but damn difficult to find.

Reaction score
I tried to start in safe mode and I get the error "THIS APP CAN'T OPEN" Get Started can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator Account. Sign in with a different account and try again." I tried to sign in with a different account and i get the same message?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Angela .....
Let's stay in this thread, since you started it about your unique problem, it might help minimize some confusion rather that bouncing back and forth between the two.
I copied this from another post of yours as it contains some more specific detail as to what you've attempt so far.....
Angela said:
Hello, you replied to my post about not being able to use my start menu, Cortana, windows mail, or over by the clock area etc. in windows 10. It all used to work, but just stopped one day. I tried to make a new account...that didn't work...so I tried to reinstall windows, and that worked for a few hours and that is it. I am so lost. I even tried to install quickbooks 2016 and it is doing the same thing as windows mail. i click on it and it tries to open, but just closes down. no error, no warning. just closes. I have run virus scanners, registry cleaners, disk checks, windows repair, everything. Please, do you have any suggestions for me?
I'm not sure that I do have any additional suggestion for you.
Considering what you've managed to do on your own and the symptoms you are describing, you don't seem to have what I would consider, typical physical problems with the computer that might indicate hard disk or memory problems, your symptoms seem to indicate that Windows 10 simply does not work properly on your laptop.
AND
If you are certain that you have all the latest drivers installed to support your hardware (BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, Video, Audio, Network, etc.) and that your install has all the latest Windows Updates, then.......

Do you have any critical data on the machine?
Do you have a good backup of any critical data?
Have you tried resetting your laptop to factory condition? Do you still have a factory partition left on your laptop?
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System...Satellite-Pro-to-factory-settings/td-p/580530

WARNING. This will erase all your personal data, programs, settings, etc. and return the laptop to the OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) that you encountered when you first brought the laptop home.

Certainly not an optimal solution nor particularly elegant but it just might be your only remaining option to at least get your laptop back up and running again.

Reaction score
One thing I like to check is the Event Viewer. It may give you some indications as to what is happening. If you need help with that, let us know.

Also, if it worked and now it doesn't, there is a chance some update is involved. There haven't been many since the last major one, but if you reset your system, it may want to keep a closer eye on what updates are being installed. Then, if you start having problems, you may have an option to uninstall that update.

If you are in the habit of running maintenance programs or such things as registry cleaners, you should stop that, at least for now, until you find the problem.

Ask a Question