Windows 10 won't recognize my second and third HDD

Reaction score
Recognizes and boots from my C drive. When I add one or two internal HDD thru the SATA ports on my MB and reboot - can't see them. However if I connect them thru a USB port, there they are. Am I missing some setting?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Stephen :).

Can I confirm that you've done the following, as it sounds like the drive works - so I'll list the steps that I'd usually do and then we can hopefully troubleshoot where the problem is.
  • Are both the SATA and Power cables connected to each drive?
  • Did you go in to the BIOS and make sure that the new drives show up there? Sometimes a SATA port can be marked as disabled.
  • Do the new drives show up in "Disk Management" (you can right click the start menu to access this).

Reaction score
You might try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can see them... Such behavior may be related to the latest upgrade, although it did not seem to effect my system.

Reaction score
Tried one HDD at a time. Yes. Both cables were attached. Even tried
different power and SATA cables. Nada! Then tried both HDDs at the same
time.
Each individual HDD did not show up in BIOS.
With both HDDs installed one HDD showed up after another boot.
Same thing with Disk Management.
Could this have something to do with all the glitches/bugs I'm hearing
about in Win 10?

Reaction score
Hi,

Since the HDD's are not present in BIOS then you need to start there. You will never see the drives in Disk Management until you can see them in the BIOS.

Are the HDD's clean or do they contain data or a Legacy operating system?

You could try disabling Secure Boot if you have a UEFI BIOS and you have Win 7 or older OS on each additional HDD you are trying to mount. Or reformat the drives via USB connection.

Reaction score
The HDD contain data but no operating system. I save my files to these HDDs.
In Bios I found the choice between UEFI, ACHI and IDE. It's set for ACHI. I don't see anywhere where it says to disable secure boot (what does that do by the way?).
Win 10 is on my C drive.

Reaction score
AHCI, the preferred, and IDE are Hard Drive controllers. UEFI is a Bios version used on newer systems.

Secure Boot is a Windows 8-10 thing that tries to protect your system during the boot phase. Secure Boot needs a UEFI system to work.

Secondary drives are not involved in this type of thing except for which controller they use. Since there was another cumulative update yesterday I suppose you system did not benefit from it..

When you connect the drives through a USB port, what type of device are they running on? Possibly that device has them set in a specific configuration which Windows is having a hard time with..

Reaction score
Had an unusual experience last week. Up until now I had my main HDD (C)
plug into Sata port #1 on my MB. The HDD that keeps appearing and
disappearing was plugged into Sata Port #2. #3 was left empty for a future
HDD. My CD/DVD was plugged into Sata port #4.
I moved the CD/DVD reader to Sata Port #3 so there was not an empty one in
between #2 and #4. HDD #2 is now recognized. CD/DVD is OK. Have rebooted a
number of times and #2 still shows up.
I've never read it anywhere but is it important NOT to leave and open Sata
Port on a MB?
My MB is an MSI A58M-E35

Reaction score
It is hard to know if the ports involved share some asset, such as an IRQ which could cause a conflict.

The Optical Drive may be part of the problem but I normally put them on the last SATA port, which in your case would be 6. I did not see anything in the manual designating 5 and 6 as something other than normal SATA ports so do you have a reason for not mentioning them?

Reaction score
If you ran the HDDs as USB external, and now want to move to internal.
1. insert as normal you would a NEW HDD
2. boot to your Windows as normal
3. open Diskmanager --> Storage --> and see if you have any unlettered DISK(s) showing.
4. if none showing move to right side and rescan.
3a. if you see the DISK(s) then make sure you change Drive Letter and Add a Drive letter to then.
USB drives should auto get a drive letter add but no always a internal HDD

Ask a Question