Windows crashed, wont recover, usb install wont load

Reaction score
my win10 system crashed and was unable to recover it, i was in the middle of an update and we lost power due to bad weather, when the system restarted it was stuck in a boot up loop, recovery disk didnt work. so i used a ubuntu live usb to be able to get an os running. on a separate working PC i downloaded the windows media creation tool, and installed the win10 boot media to a usb. when i use the usb the bios screen loads, i boot from usb, a blank screen appears, the windows logo flashes for a split second and then the system reboots, resulting in a loop, i tried different usb ports, i use the same usb drive for the ubuntu live usb and ubuntu loads fine. so i know the drive works, and i would assume ubuntu needs the same bios settings to boot as win10 would. ive tried using the windows media kit, and a iso file using rufius to build the startup usb, nothing works. so, my question is can i use ubuntu live usb to load the windows iso into a partition on the hard drive? the computer doesnt have a cdrom. i dont think anything in my bios has changed, but i can provide screen shots of the settings if that would help. im hoping i can get some guidance here. thank you all so much for reading, im frustrated and im about to shoot the computer in the face.

i dont mind wiping the hard drive and starting over, and at this rate i would prefer it. if you need any more information please let me know

cyberpower pc model c
motherboard: GA-AX370M-DS3H

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

if you don't mind a clean install see the link below (it will keep your data and app files in a folder called "Windows.old" which you can fish out afterwards!). ;)

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

if you don't mind a clean install see the link below (it will keep your data and app files in a folder called "Windows.old" which you can fish out afterwards!). ;)
Thanks wolfie,
maybe i missed something reading the link you posted, but the instructions are for a computer that can boot up. my system is stuck in a boot loop, no option for safe mode, i would like to just wipe the drive and start over, this has been a headache for the last 4 days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

if Ubuntu is booting then I suspect that at the wrong moment, you are missing the message about "Press any key to boot from CD"?. Try booting again using the Windows USB stick and keep pressing the spacebar as soon as you start the computer and see if that helps!. :)

Ask a Question