Windows Mail in Windows 10

Reaction score
The name "Windows Mail" is usually referred to the email client that came with the Windows Vista operating system.
Is that the one you meant ?
or,
Do you mean Windows LIVE Mail which is one of the programs included in Windows Essentials ?
or,
Do you mean the Mail app that is included in Windows 10 ?

Reaction score
The name "Windows Mail" is usually referred to the email client that came with the Windows Vista operating system.
Is that the one you meant ?
or,
Do you mean Windows LIVE Mail which is one of the programs included in Windows Essentials ?
or,
Do you mean the Mail app that is included in Windows 10 ?

I'm talking about Windows Mail the email client that came with Windows Vista. it came with windows 10 too, but came deactivated. how can activate? or how i can to use it?

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is correct....
Windows Mail (AKA Windows Live Mail) did not come natively in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 nor Windows 10.

If you have it..... and I have no reason to disbelieve anything you are saying, it is because you have upgraded to Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows that also had Windows Mail (AKA Windows Live Mail) installed and it is still located in your Program Files directory.

It's probably an older version and it might be a good idea to uninstall it and install the latest version (2012), which I provided the link to, above.
If you do that and install the latest version (2012), which still works in Windows 10 pretty well, you will find it located in the All Apps Menu under "W" for "Windows Live Mail"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then "my friend" all you have is the new Windows Mail App.....
Which is native to Windows 10.
As far as C:\Program Files\ Windows Mail
I have that too..... but I don't have Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail installed.

Reaction score
I would love to know how to uninstall the old version of any e-mail on windows and install a working e-mail for outlook.com. My e-mails are a disaster. I have no options to do anything with them other than read them and delete them. My reading panes are too large to see all of the message, I lost all of my contacts and I would love to know what is going on with this mess. Does it have anything to do with something called windows preview?

Reaction score
That is correct....
Windows Mail (AKA Windows Live Mail) did not come natively in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 nor Windows 10.

If you have it..... and I have no reason to disbelieve anything you are saying, it is because you have upgraded to Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows that also had Windows Mail (AKA Windows Live Mail) installed and it is still located in your Program Files directory.

It's probably an older version and it might be a good idea to uninstall it and install the latest version (2012), which I provided the link to, above.
If you do that and install the latest version (2012), which still works in Windows 10 pretty well, you will find it located in the All Apps Menu under "W" for "Windows Live Mail"
A lot of manufacturers were install Windows Live Essentials on their computers.

Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion here. I may be able to help clear it up.

Antonio is referring to "WinMail", a stand-alone email program that came with Vista.
WinMail is NOT Windows Live Mail. WinMail is NOT part of Windows Live Essentials.

Antonio states that "In windows 7 and windows 8, Windows Mail came deactivated".
Antonio is correct. (Sorry, Trouble. You're wrong here)
WinMail also comes in Win 10---again, deactivated. I just looked, and the Windows Mail folder in Program Files shows a creation date of 10/03/2015,
All of the WinMail files are there---they just don't work.

The good news, for the thousands of people that thought WinMail was a really good stand-alone email program, is that you CAN get WinMail working again in Win 10.

Just go to the Windows Eight Forums and search for:
How to use Winmail on Windows 8
Or click the link:
http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/3698-how-use-winmail-windows-8-a.html

Post #10 on that thread will tell you everything you need to know to get it working in Windows 10 along with links to all of the files and reg-edits you will need to do it.

After downloading all the files, etc. it took me about 10 minutes to set it up just now on my Win 10 x64 laptop. Works just fine.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I'll jump right on that
Just to get a crappy email client that nobody liked at the time, everyone ranting that Outlook Express was better (and quite frankly it was), from a crappy O.S. that nobody liked at the time, everyone ranting that Windows XP was better (and quite frankly it was),.. OH YEAH, cut me off a slice of that and all I have to do is delete the contents of one folder, copy over the contents of another folder, and a .dll file that doesn't even belong on my system and register it and stand on one foot hop up and down and spit on the ground three time while chanting "All hail eightforums".
I think I'll pass, but.....
Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
...Just to get a crappy email client that nobody liked..., ...a crappy O.S. that nobody liked at the time, everyone ranting..., ...OH YEAH, cut me off a slice of that... ...stand on one foot hop up and down and spit on the ground three time while chanting "All hail eightforums".

Mr. Trouble,
Everyone has a right to their own opinions. After all, this is 'merica, as Dubya would say.

Your opinions, however, seem a little harsh, considering that it would appear that you may not even be familiar with the positive attributes of WinMail.

There are many good reasons for sticking with an application (such as WinMail) that time has passed on. For me, personally, it means the following:

1. Not having to learn the peculiarities and idiosyncrasies of a new email application.

2. Not having to set up a new email client and eight sub-accounts.

3. The ability to have an email client that seamlessly merges all eight sub-accounts.

4. Not having to import (probably unsuccessfully) thousands of old emails.

It took me ten minutes to reinstate WinMail in Win 10.
I saved myself hours of time and frustration by doing this.
I am very happy about this.

You, however, seem to be distinctly annoyed and displeased at my little bit of happiness.
I'm not sure why. You're a moderator of Window 10 Forums with quite a few postings.
I would have thought that you would see your role in all of this as helping others with their issues and problems, rather than disparaging, mocking and insulting them.

I think it's time for some inner reflection on your part.

Reaction score
Since this thread has turned into a "my favorite email" thread I would say that I have never had any of Microsofts MUA's. Yahoo Mail always worked for me and I especially like the new upgraded version. Then I got the Chrome browser and Gmail but I still use Yahoo Mail/Weather/News. It's just email. O, and I had to do absolutely nothing when I upgraded to Windows 10 as both email MUA's came intact.

Reaction score
I think it's time for some inner reflection on your part.
If you have something personal to say to a member or Moderator, a personal message would be a better solution. I suppose that would apply to this message as well but I wanted all forum members to see my comment.

Reaction score
Since this thread has turned into a "my favorite email" thread I would say that I have never had any of Microsofts MUA's. Yahoo Mail always worked for me and I especially like the new upgraded version. Then I got the Chrome browser and Gmail but I still use Yahoo Mail/Weather/News. It's just email. O, and I had to do absolutely nothing when I upgraded to Windows 10 as both email MUA's came intact.
I don't think this has become a "my favorite email" thread.

Antonio very simply asked how to activate WinMail in Win 10.
As it turns out, I was able to show him how to do it.

I would never claim that WinMail was the best or easiest to use client out there.
I use it because I have always used it since my transition from an earlier email to WinMail was less than pleasant and I don't want to go through that suffering again.

I tried to use the new Win 10 mail client and got this message:
mail error 1.JPG

I'm happy for you in that Yahoo Mail has always worked for you.
If you wish, you could be happy for me in that WinMail has always worked for me.

Reaction score
If you have something personal to say to a member or Moderator, a personal message would be a better solution. I suppose that would apply to this message as well but I wanted all forum members to see my comment.

Your point is well taken. However, as this was my first post to Windows Ten Forums, it was, and remains, unclear to me as to how to reply via a personal message.

You have chosen to make your comment to me public.
My response will be public as well, so that all forum members may see both sides of the comments.

To Summarize:
Antonio asked the forum a valid question.

Trouble's first response was one of doubt, contained false assumptions and erroneous information, and suggested that Antonio should give up on WinMail and install Windows Live Mail. None of Trouble's response was directed in any way toward answering Antonio's question.

My response to Antonio's post was to give him the information he needed to accomplish his goal of getting WinMail to work under Win 10.

Trouble's response to my post to Antonio was derisive, mocking and insulting.
I did absolutely nothing to provoke this minor tirade.
I would expect better behavior than that from a moderator. One of Trouble's functions as a moderator is to act as role model for positive, respectful communications.
In that regard, he fell far short.

My response to Trouble's wholly inappropriate response to my post was to politely call him on it.

I should not have had to do this.

But, perhaps you have already pointed that out to him in a personal message.

Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion here. I may be able to help clear it up.

Antonio is referring to "WinMail", a stand-alone email program that came with Vista.
WinMail is NOT Windows Live Mail. WinMail is NOT part of Windows Live Essentials.

Antonio states that "In windows 7 and windows 8, Windows Mail came deactivated".
Antonio is correct. (Sorry, Trouble. You're wrong here)
WinMail also comes in Win 10---again, deactivated. I just looked, and the Windows Mail folder in Program Files shows a creation date of 10/03/2015,
All of the WinMail files are there---they just don't work.

The good news, for the thousands of people that thought WinMail was a really good stand-alone email program, is that you CAN get WinMail working again in Win 10.

Just go to the Windows Eight Forums and search for:
How to use Winmail on Windows 8
Or click the link:
http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/3698-how-use-winmail-windows-8-a.html

Post #10 on that thread will tell you everything you need to know to get it working in Windows 10 along with links to all of the files and reg-edits you will need to do it.

After downloading all the files, etc. it took me about 10 minutes to set it up just now on my Win 10 x64 laptop. Works just fine.

Hello Mr. John Erbes,
I looked in this link and tried to download the files from it but failed because I was not registered. When I tried to register I also could not do it. The site kept saying "You need to pass the human verification challenge before proceeding." and I was not able to proceed...
Can I beg you to please post the contents into this thread so I can download from here? I am deadly needing the Windows Mail to work on my computer again (it stopped after I upgrade Win8 to Win10) otherwise I am not able to work on Monday!
Thank you!
Danny Wong

Reaction score
That is correct....

If he's referring to Live Mail, most manufacturers installed that on Windows 7 and 8(8.1) machines along with the rest of Windows Live Essentials.

Ask a Question