Windows Update Issues

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am have issues with Windows Update in Windows 10. I am receiving the following message when checking for updates:

"We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure you’re connected to the internet."

I'm obviously connected to the internet (and another computer in my home updates fine), so that's not the issue. I have Googled the message and gone through each and every proposed solution I've been able to fine online including:

Rebooting the computer
Rolling the computer back to the previous restore point
Changing the DNS address
Restarting the update service
Clearing the update download folders
Running the system file checker utility
Running the Windows update troubleshooter

I've tried other possible solutions as well.

The main symptom right now is that my Outlook Mail application won't run. It starts up and displays for a couple of seconds, then closes without any kind of error message.

I have around 60GB of free space on my C drive.

Another strange thing is that my update history is blank.

I realize that something is corrupt on the system, I'm just at a lose for what it might be. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem with the Windows Update Service....
There is some helpful tips here, including a detailed "manual' process

However, I've found this tool here very helpful as it performs all the steps above for you.

IF that doesn't work, you might look into adding some additional free space.
I would think that 60 gigs would be sufficient, but...
Perhaps not?

Reaction score
That's for the reply. I ran the reset tool, and unfortunately, no luck. I also tried to run Windows update in safe mode, and just received a general "something went wrong" error. I received similar errors when trying to remove the latest updates using the advance startup options in Windows. It seems that there are no records that any updates have ever been applied; however, I know for a fact that the computer has been updating regularly since I bought it over two years ago. I'm not sure what's happened or how to fix it short of doing a complete Windows reset (which will mean reinstalling all of my non-windows software). I haven't installed any new software lately. My Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop have updated regularly.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Does you system have the correct date and time set. I don't know if it is still a problem now or not. Windows update in the past wouldn't connect if the system date and time was not accurate.

Reaction score
Does you system have the correct date and time set. I don't know if it is still a problem now or not. Windows update in the past wouldn't connect if the system date and time was not accurate.
Yes. Date and time are correct.

I just downloaded and ran the Windows 10 Update Assistant. When I run it, it just pops up a message "Thank you for updating to the latest version of Windows 10." It doesn't appear to do anything. Windows update still doesn't work and displays "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes."

Ask a Question