Windows update WDDM graphics driver breaks Windows 10 system

Reaction score
Hi all,
This problem happened to me back with windows 7, and now its back again -- I have an Nvidia GPU (980ti), but windows 10 update is trying to push an Intel graphics adapter 1.1/1.3 update for the onboard video that is part of my mobo. If I let this install, windows will no longer boot and goes to black screen with no ability to log in once windows loads. I cannot get any video to my monitor from either the geforce card OR the onboard video at that point. The only solution is to boot into safe mode (which does allow my geforce card to operate), and then use a system restore to get rid of the WDDM drivers.

The obvious problem is that Windows 10 wont shut up about updating this driver b/c of the forced driver updates. But since it bricks my system, I dont know what to do about it. Anyone deal with this issue or know what can be done?

thx!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have the option within your system BIOS utility to select the nVidia as the primary device and perhaps disable the intel?
Have you tried one upping the Windows Updates utility by installing the latest driver that intel has available for that particular GPU?
If neither of the above is a viable option your might have a look here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Reaction score
Thanks, Trouble. I did try installing drivers myself, but every time I tried that it just froze my screen and windows no longer would respond (left it running for 15 minutes one time just to be sure). Had to hard reboot and go back into save mode to once again disable that onboard Intel video. Also, my BIOS does not allow me to fully disable the onboard video-- that was the first thing I had tried, but the geniuses at ASUS only allow me to set a preferred video (ePCI, Auto, onboard), but not to disable the thing :/

I followed that support link and tried working with that general solution, though what I ended up doing was slightly different.

What I did was to install the drivers for the intel video from within safe mode, which didnt lock up the way that it did when trying from a full boot into Windows. But, then after a clean reboot I was greeted with the same black screen/monitor shut off/unresponsive keyboard situation. I hard rebooted BACK into safe mode, and then disabled the intel video device (but at least now it had latest driver even though it was bonking my system). Finally, on a clean reboot I am here back in Windows and the Intel video is just disabled from the device manager. Windows update isnt bothering me anymore since I at least got the drivers updated before having to disable it again. But, this is likely just a temporary resolution until the next time they push out an update to the WDDM Intel graphics :/

Nevertheless, I am now back up -- many thanks for your help as always!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you came up with that solution.
Anything that will work to avoid such a nuisance is a good thing, even if temporary.

Reaction score
What would cause a conflict in the bios between the on board graphics and the GPU at boot?
I had a no signal issue.
shop said my card was bad.........lol
after $45.00 burned for nothing.
I was able to finally able resolve the issue somewhat.....

I was able to boot with signal to the on board chip set z97 gigabyte black edition mb, after removing the gpu and 1/2 my ram ( i think the ram sets a flag for a hardware change..?) once in the chi set was able to set the bios to 1st boot to the chip set.
then , i was able to reinstall the GPU which pushed the graphics back to the gpu after boot and the card was working.
problem was it would just return to no signal after power down and a cold restart .
knowing this I disabled the GPU in windows device manager after re enabling the chip set.

so now in order to use the gpu i must enable it after boot in the device manager.
and disable it before power down.

the gpu is a nivida quadro cx workstation card with a wddm 1.1
the card is only 1 year used from the package.

windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 home editions.

Reaction score
Use Internet Explorer and go here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=nvidia quadro
See if your card is listed there with associated Windows 10 Drivers.

I have drivers for windows 10 from nividia installed and its been working for the last year in windows 10 fine.
I just noticed today as well by accident that leaving the chip set disabled in the device anager and powering down i was able to power back up into the GPU but my monitor still was reading out the chip set port so i had no user ability to run anything but had to manually set the monitor to dvi from dsub.

so the conflict is in both being enable within device manager.
possibly confused communication with the monitor as well ....

the card is a $2000 work station card I'm not going to buy another because of a free win 10 upgrade.
as well I can't go to that sight unless i have ie edge wont let me in LOL some upgrade.

Reaction score
The Mother board was an opened box one from newegg. it was the issue all along.
got a new one.

Ask a Question