SOLVED Wireless Win 10 netbook network problem

Reaction score
I need some network help please. I have two Windows 10 machines, two Windows 7 machines (one wireless and one wired), one Windows 8 wireless laptop and a Microsoft Home Server. I do not have a homegroup set up. On my Windows 8 wireless laptop I can see both of my Windows 7 machines. On both of my Windows 7 machines I can see the other Windows 7 machine, the Windows 8 wireless laptop and ONLY ONE Windows 10 machine. My Windows server sees all of the Windows 7, 8 & 10 machines and all machines see the server.

The Windows 10 DESKTOP machine ("out-of-the-box"), which is connected via Ethernet, is showing all of my machines just as it should. The Windows 10 netbook ("out-of-the-box") is wireless only and I can not see any other machine except the server. I checked properties of the wireless connection on this netbook and it "said" that IPv6 connectivity was disabled. This netbook is definitely connected to the internet and I have had no problems using my browser. After using the Microsoft Fixit (#50440) to re-enable IPv6 and rebooting, the netbook is still stuck on showing only the netbook. After running the fixit, the WiFi status did not change regarding IPv6. It still shows IPv6 connectivity as having no network access.

Network Discovery is turned on on both of the Windows 10 machines.
File and printer sharing is turned on on both of the Windows 10 machines.
Public folder sharing is turned on on both of the Windows 10 machines.

Thanks much!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IPv6 should have no impact at all on your local area network as long as, as you've said you are not employing a "HomeGroup".
Actually IPv6 should have no impact at all on anything to do with networking as all you local computers are likely IPv4 NAT'd behind your Router anyway.
You just need to first confirm that they are all on the same subnet. That your wireless (problem) computer is not receiving an IP address that is not within the same IP range as the rest of the network nodes. Then.....
You need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4, under the WINS tab, within the properties of your network interface card.
type
services.msc
into the search box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation

AND lastly you need to make sure that there is not some third party security suite running on the problem computer causing your problem.

Ask a Question