WLan + Bluetooth Modules Atheros AR5B22 driver

Reaction score
fwiw, I bought several AR5B22 cards in the past to add dual band wifi and BT capability to several old Dell core 2 duo laptops running Windows 10. Most of them were Acer branded cards which were easier to find on eBay. I think there was a Samsung and a Fujitsu branded card amongst them. They all work.

Today, I installed one of these cards (I think it was an Acer) into an Samsung RF511 (i5-2xxx) laptop running Windows 7 for a friend for its dual band capability. Downloaded latest qualcom AR9462 wifi and BT drivers from ath-drivers.eu. Wifi works great. But even after trying different BT drivers and starting the 'BT support service', there is no BT device listed in Device Manager (View hidden devices enabled). I am absolutely certain BT worked on this particular card that was previously installed in one of my older Dell Windows 10 notebook.

Fortunately, the owner of the Samsung laptop didn't require bluetooth, so I abandoned investigating the issue any further. The same laptop did previously have a broadcom single band wifi/BT card in it.

I did a bit of googling and stumbled across this thread.

bob8, yes my Acer Aspire 5750 also had a single band WiFi/BT card in and i did change it to the Qualcom AR9462 (AR5B22) dual and BT and it works perfectly but, there are certain intricacies with these drivers and they can be very finicky and stubborn to install. If you haven't gotten the right link, this is the link to the Win-7 BT drivers for the Qualcom AR9462 (AR5B22) from https://www.ath-drivers.eu/atheros-bluetooth-drivers.html make sure that there are no traces of the previous WiFi and BT drivers on this OP system, then, you have to install the BT driver after you have installed the WiFi driver then rebooted the comp,. The link at ath-drivers is for the AR9462/Bluetooth 4.0 + HS and its specifically for a Win-7 32/64bit and also for the 8 and 10 OP systems appropriately. These drivers have worked for me (Win-10 Pro 64bit) but I'm sure that they will work on Win-7. I would suggest that you try to install the BT driver a few times (if it dosen't install) and reboot comp, as it could be abit finicky and stubborn, I did have to do that on my Win-10 after installing v1809 as the BT driver got deleted (not the WiFi) and I had to reinstall the BT driver again. Hope this helps cheers.

Reaction score
Thanks for trying:):), but trying it and does not work
Just shut down and turn on the wireless:(
Hi, Very late to the party I know but I had this exact issue and in case anyone else has a problem like this I did all of the above WRT drivers and Also noted that the device manager immediately after UG to W10 from W7 showed my combo card incorrectly as AR5BWB222 when it is in fact the AR5B22 . Several hours later and after installing the seperate drivers above (now dedicated W10 drivers for both the BT and WiFi on the https://www.ath-drivers.eu/ site - I still had no joy. Then I started playing with the FN+F3 and you should know that the Fn+F3 trick is a winner (it was for me). Thanks wolfie!!!!!

The thing is that the FN+F3 is a multi toggle button i.e. BT OFF/WiFi On >> BT On/Wifi On > BT On/Wifi Off > BT Off/Wifi Off > BT Off/Wifi on and so on. If you press it enough times the Wifi will enable and also the BT.

Totally non-intuitive and pretty "not normal" but it is what it is. My BT popped up as soon as I hammered the bloody key a few times.

Genius!

Paul

Reaction score
Hi, Very late to the party I know but I had this exact issue and in case anyone else has a problem like this I did all of the above WRT drivers and Also noted that the device manager immediately after UG to W10 from W7 showed my combo card incorrectly as AR5BWB222 when it is in fact the AR5B22 . Several hours later and after installing the seperate drivers above (now dedicated W10 drivers for both the BT and WiFi on the https://www.ath-drivers.eu/ site - I still had no joy. Then I started playing with the FN+F3 and you should know that the Fn+F3 trick is a winner (it was for me). Thanks wolfie!!!!!

The thing is that the FN+F3 is a multi toggle button i.e. BT OFF/WiFi On >> BT On/Wifi On > BT On/Wifi Off > BT Off/Wifi Off > BT Off/Wifi on and so on. If you press it enough times the Wifi will enable and also the BT.

Totally non-intuitive and pretty "not normal" but it is what it is. My BT popped up as soon as I hammered the bloody key a few times.

Genius!

Paul
Firstly and btw, the official Qualcomm card is the "AR9462" (which is a Single-chip, 2.4/5 GHz, 2-stream 802.11a/b/g/n and BT 4.0 + HS SoC Solution with SST Technology) which is how its described in the original pdf Qualcomm brochure (see caption attached below) this card is also retailed and/or described as the AR5B22 (see caption of my AR5B22 card) or the AR5BWB222 which is also its description in the Win-10's "Device Manager" under "Networking adapter" (NOT the Win-7's Device Manager") and its full description is the "Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adaptor" as you have said. I've had the same card installed within Win-10 for over 3 years in both an Aspire 5750-2414 (which didn't come with an AR9462 (AR5B22) or the 5G or BT, it came with a 2.4G WiFi only card) and I upgraded to the AR9462 (AR5B22) to get the 5G and BT and I have an Aspire V3-571G which came with the AR9462 (AR5B22) OEM and they all come up as "Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adaptor"

Btw, I did suggest to press the "Fn+F3 or F3" key to activate WiFi and/or BT functions, this is a very well know method to activate WiFi and/or BT functions! Its not always needed as the WiFi and/or BT functions works automatically (at driver updates) its only in certain cases that the combo FN+F3 key or just the F3 has to be pressed.

Attachments

• AR5B22.jpg
    AR5B22.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 565
  • AR9462.pdf
    453.5 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Reaction score
Firstly and btw, the official Qualcomm card is the "AR9462" (which is a Single-chip, 2.4/5 GHz, 2-stream 802.11a/b/g/n and BT 4.0 + HS SoC Solution with SST Technology) which is how its described in the original pdf Qualcomm brochure (see caption attached below) this card is also retailed and/or described as the AR5B22 (see caption of my AR5B22 card) or the AR5BWB222 which is also its description in the Win-10's "Device Manager" under "Networking adapter" (NOT the Win-7's Device Manager") and its full description is the "Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adaptor" as you have said. I've had the same card installed within Win-10 for over 3 years in both an Aspire 5750-2414 (which didn't come with an AR9462 (AR5B22) or the 5G or BT, it came with a 2.4G WiFi only card) and I upgraded to the AR9462 (AR5B22) to get the 5G and BT and I have an Aspire V3-571G which came with the AR9462 (AR5B22) OEM and they all come up as "Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adaptor"

Btw, I did suggest to press the "Fn+F3 or F3" key to activate WiFi and/or BT functions, this is a very well know method to activate WiFi and/or BT functions! Its not always needed as the WiFi and/or BT functions works automatically (at driver updates) its only in certain cases that the combo FN+F3 key or just the F3 has to be pressed.
Hi, I'm here to say thank you, especially for those driver links!
Well, I'm a computer and phone technician, but it's my first time to upgrade & install a new Wi-Fi Card on my laptop. I bought AR5B22 because it has a 5 GHz feature while my old one doesn't have that feature. What I've done before was putting another RF cable inside of my laptop because it only contains one cable. It took about 10 minutes to manage the cable and plug it into the right place.

And the moment of truth.

Firstly I booted into my Windows 10. Unfortunately, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth won't connect. I tried to install another version of drivers (Bluetooth included) and restart my laptop. Well, I got an improvement... the Bluetooth successfully connected, whereas the Wi-Fi still doesn't work. I tried the same things repeatedly (Install another version of Wi-Fi driver > restart > doing some stuff in CMD> etc.). Zonk, it doesn't work, too. Oddly, when I accidentally booted into my Linux Mint OS, wow, I can use Wi-Fi without doing some configurations. I spent a lot of my time configuring my Wi-Fi, but the result was nothing.

Then, I tried to replug the RF cable, and yes! It works! Now, I can enjoy a 5 GHz feature on my 2013 laptop. I don't know what I can say anymore. Btw, sorry for my RIP English (I'm from Indonesia).

There are some screenshots of proofs. I know some of you might think my Internet is slow. Tbh, it's rare here to touch that number.

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-12-13 04-31-46-986.jpg
    bandicam 2020-12-13 04-31-46-986.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 281
  • bandicam 2020-12-13 04-31-58-965.jpg
    bandicam 2020-12-13 04-31-58-965.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
Hi, I'm here to say thank you, especially for those driver links!
Well, I'm a computer and phone technician, but it's my first time to upgrade & install a new Wi-Fi Card on my laptop. I bought AR5B22 because it has a 5 GHz feature while my old one doesn't have that feature. What I've done before was putting another RF cable inside of my laptop because it only contains one cable. It took about 10 minutes to manage the cable and plug it into the right place.

And the moment of truth.

Firstly I booted into my Windows 10. Unfortunately, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth won't connect. I tried to install another version of drivers (Bluetooth included) and restart my laptop. Well, I got an improvement... the Bluetooth successfully connected, whereas the Wi-Fi still doesn't work. I tried the same things repeatedly (Install another version of Wi-Fi driver > restart > doing some stuff in CMD> etc.). Zonk, it doesn't work, too. Oddly, when I accidentally booted into my Linux Mint OS, wow, I can use Wi-Fi without doing some configurations. I spent a lot of my time configuring my Wi-Fi, but the result was nothing.

Then, I tried to replug the RF cable, and yes! It works! Now, I can enjoy a 5 GHz feature on my 2013 laptop. I don't know what I can say anymore. Btw, sorry for my RIP English (I'm from Indonesia).

There are some screenshots of proofs. I know some of you might think my Internet is slow. Tbh, it's rare here to touch that number.

“Radipta” glad to help and are you from Jakarta? I've been to Indonesia lots of times and it’s a great place with great people, as matter of a fact my wife is from Jambie.​

Reaction score

“Radipta” glad to help and are you from Jakarta? I've been to Indonesia lots of times and it’s a great place with great people, as matter of a fact my wife is from Jambie.​

Wow, I'm impressed to hear that your wife is from Jambi. May your life be beautiful, bro :)
Btw, I'm from Yogyakarta (Central Java).

Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed to hear that your wife is from Jambi. May your life be beautiful, bro :)
Btw, I'm from Yogyakarta (Central Java).
I've been to Yogyakarta too, also my wife's two brothers are studying there, great place but has a few earthquakes like Jakarta, which I've experienced too:) cheers from Sydney Australia.

Last edited:

Ask a Question