Reaction score
My 4 PCs here all have SSDs as their C drives and they have had no freezes. FWIW they are all 240/256 GB Samsung 840/850 EVO drives.
You are lucky. It is an Anniversary Update bug recognised by Microsoft.

Mine is a Crucial 256 GB SSD.

Reaction score
I search around and discover that it applies to those who have their apps and data on a different drive.
AHA! I have all that stuff on C: EXCEPT I have moved Downloads off onto another drive and I have 90% of my music on another drive but still some on C: As SSDs are getting cheaper I am considering a 512 GB SSD to replace my spinning D:

Reaction score
this one was pretty big, took a long time, just got the laptop done, still have the desktop to deal with. the laptop seems OK though.

the desktop wouldn't go past the dreaded 95% deal, so ended up D/Ling the update manually and installing it.

Reaction score
The "Whirly Bird" is at it again. This morning...Thursday. Sept. 15th. I turned on the PC with Win10 Home, and there I get a black screen with the "infamous Microsoft trouble maker" making it's whirly turns and nothing happening. The last time this happen I make a restore to go to 1970 year before that was such thing a desktop computer. I see it is time to revert back to Win 7 on all my four computers.

Reaction score
The "Whirly Bird" is at it again. This morning...Thursday. Sept. 15th. I turned on the PC with Win10 Home, and there I get a black screen with the "infamous Microsoft trouble maker" making it's whirly turns and nothing happening. The last time this happen I make a restore to go to 1970 year before that was such thing a desktop computer. I see it is time to revert back to Win 7 on all my four computers.
For many W 10 works well.
Equally for many it causes many frustrating problems.
I can see your temptation to revert back to W 7 and to be honest if i continually kept getting problems i would do the same.
Looking back at all the posts since W 10 i personally don't think it was ready for release.
This was confirmed with the Anniversary upgrade which was supposed to address some of the problems but instead caused more problems it certainly did for me as i had to revert back to the previous build.

Reaction score
And yet over this way the only problem I had with W10, W10 1511 and W10 Anni-edition is that for a couple of weeks until an update my Ereader wouldn't work on the Anni-editon... didn't cause the system to crash...just wasn't recognized. SO I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Reaction score
Interesting ad on the forum "Get Windows 7 Pro for $39. I bet they are doing good business. LOL
I switched my Laptop back to Win 7 a month ago. I haven't used my Win 10 machines or even updated them in a month. I think I'll wait for the big update in November and see what problems that may bring.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So we are up to 14393.447 now....
That would seem to be the case.
At least that's what I have

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I am not using Winver any more, just Settings-System, About.. The info presented may have changed in one of the recent builds since it was not available in 10240.

Reaction score
I just shut down the system which had already finished this last update and it is currently showing All Blue Screen with the "Getting Windows Ready" message... What the heck will happen next.... !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't paying that much attention when mine did the update thing, but I'm pretty sure it did something similar. 30% and then a reboot and then the 100% thing.
It went well on mine.
Settings -> System -> About shows the same thing
Version 1607
OS Build 14393.447

Reaction score
Mine did the normal install restart but later when I shut it down, it went through the Blue Screen with spinning dots for 20 minutes. It finally shutdown and when I restarted it looked normal...

The one funny thing about this is one system jumped from installing 70% to 89% in about two minutes. The system with the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard stayed at 70% for around 25 minutes. I decided to turn off both the Keyboard and mouse and 3 seconds later it jumped to 89% and completed... Coincidence ... don't know..

Anyway, all good now as far as I know. I am about to shutdown the other system to see what happens.. will advise if not normal.

Reaction score
I wasn't watching so closely, but, I think it did one restart then the spinning dot thing. Then another restart and the "getting windows ready" message. Another restart, during outgoing and restarting, it showed the usual percentage windows.
Finally to the desktop and everything seems (I hope) to be normal.

Bif

Reaction score
It's doing what it's doing as I type... it's a biggie it seems, patiently waiting to see what it breaks this time..
Will update later!

Reaction score
No problems here with the updates.
Question: Does anyone know why Windows update deletes the update history and only displays the recent update activity?

Bif

Reaction score
No problems here with the updates.
Question: Does anyone know why Windows update deletes the update history and only displays the recent update activity?
No issues I've noticed as of yet...but interestingly unlike you all of my update history is there...but all the system restore points are gone except for
today's.

The mystery continues

Bif

Reaction score
I create a manual restore point every 2-3rd day.
As do I, created one yesterday and three days before that.. vanished into this cyberspace...
There were 12 points when I checked yesterday in preparation for this update..not so now.
Two Scotch's?. neat?.... I'm buying!;)

Ask a Question