Application crash - Brother iPrint & Scan

Reaction score
Just bought and installed a new Brother multi-function printer to replace a broken Canon printer. Installed the full and updated package from their website and the printer is working fine. The scanning function works as well.

But when I install the bundled software "Brother iPrint & Scan", which is a software package that gives you more control of the scanning process, this application will not start. The process just terminates, and I find the following in Event Viewer:

Event 1026, .NET Runtime

Application: Brother iPrint&Scan.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(System.String, System.String, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create()

at Rodem.UI.Wpf.Services.ApplicationAuthenticationService.GetApplicationAuthenticationFile()

at Rodem.UI.Wpf.Services.ApplicationAuthenticationService+<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<SetAuthenticationInfo>b__0()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at Rodem.UI.Wpf.Services.ApplicationAuthenticationService+<SetAuthenticationInfo>d__9.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at Rodem.UI.Wpf.Services.ApplicationAuthenticationService+<MarkAsAuthenticated>d__5.MoveNext()

at Rodem.UI.Core.Services.ApplicationAuthenticator+<Authenticate>d__8.MoveNext()

Exception Info: System.AggregateException

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].GetResultCore(Boolean)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].get_Result()

at Rodem.UI.Wpf.App.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)

at Rodem.UI.Wpf.App.Main()

Event 1000, Application Error
Faulting application name: Brother iPrint&Scan.exe, version: 4.4.0.33, time stamp: 0x5d4cfad9
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.356, time stamp: 0x8c4198ab
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00113522
Faulting process id: 0x1eb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d58ea92f1d9c51
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\iPrint&Scan\Brother iPrint&Scan.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 4834c575-85e7-42d8-b2e4-01a0fd98199d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Brother's tech support is useless and all they can suggest is to reinstall Windows 10, which I'm not gonna do.

Does anyone have any suggestion re what could be wrong and how to solve this?

Reaction score
Hi chjohans,

are you fully up-to-date?:

It starts with a .Net runtime error which might indicate you need to update/upgrade?. :)

Reaction score
Hi chjohans,

are you fully up-to-date?:

It starts with a .Net runtime error which might indicate you need to update/upgrade?. :)

Thanks but yes I'm fully "up to date" with the latest Windows 10 version and all patches and updates that has been released through Windows Update.

The "iprint&Scan" application works on my laptop with the exact same Windows 10 version and updates, but annoyingly it just crashes on my main PC where I need it the most.

Brother tech support has been pretty much useless, they just told me to re-install the application (which I have tried of course, numerous times) and if that doesn't help to re-install Windows. I'm not about to do the latter, unless I absolutely have too, since everything else works perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Open Control Panel > Devices & Printers and make sure that the printer itself is default and then right click the printer icon and check its properties, I have no idea if this will help at all?: :)

1585635522065.png

Reaction score
Brother iPrint & Scan
HI chjohans;

you could try removing the app, then re-install it which might work. Failing that, download a fresh copy of the app and check the file size in properties to see if they are an exact match!. ;)

Reaction score
HI chjohans;

you could try removing the app, then re-install it which might work. Failing that, download a fresh copy of the app and check the file size in properties to see if they are an exact match!. ;)
Thanks but already done that, it made no difference.

Reaction score
Then I don't know, you can try contacting them direct (support pages) or look on their forum for an answer. ;)

Reaction score
Then I don't know, you can try contacting them direct (support pages) or look on their forum for an answer. ;)
Thanks, but as I wrote above:

"Brother tech support has been pretty much useless, they just told me to re-install the application (which I have tried of course, numerous times) and if that doesn't help to re-install Windows. I'm not about to do the latter, unless I absolutely have too, since everything else works perfectly fine. "

Reaction score
I csmnot offer much hrlp - all out of my league. But, looking through the log, it seems that the application has failed to mae a correct path (5th from bottom line)
Nothing lost, nothing gained, I would try an copy (duplicate) a few lines there

Reaction score
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\iPrint&Scan\Brother iPrint&Scan.exe
That Brother iPrint&Scan looks suspiciously wrong

Reaction score
That Brother iPrint&Scan looks suspiciously wrong
Yup, something is wrong for sure, that's why I'm posting here :)

Anyhow the exact same software works fine on my other computers with the same windows version and the same patches. They have some different software installed though so it might be something else that is interfering.

Reaction score
The point I sm msking is that I dont think it is possible to have something labelled Brother iprint&Scan

Reaction score
Try downloading the file from a different location to the one you originally used, the following is for the US, but you can try a different one if you have already used this website:

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150551/~/download-and-install-brother-iprint&scan---windows-or-macintosh-computer :)
Thanks, but the same file has been used to install on several other PC's where this app works just fine. But to rule out a bad file or bad download I've already downloaded this from several locations. It makes no difference, it's not the install file that is at fault.

Ask a Question