Build 10240

Reaction score
My problem with the Settings window is now solved using a couple of admin level command prompts:

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup and after that one completed I ran SFC /Scannow. Found them online with a Google search and by golly they worked to set things right. I was about ready to do a system restore from a Todo image backup and rerun updates. Now I don't have to do that. All appears well at the moment till the next issue arises. I'm not Irish but seem to be a magnet for Windows 10 issues.

Reaction score
Helps keep the forum activity going at worst, Dipsy. Not so good for you, though.
We have one on another forum, with which Trouble is acquainted. Without him to contribute, I would only need to have a quick visit every couple of days - lol.

Reaction score
agreed. It's clean. Inappropriate posts are dealt with promptly. This makes it easy to get to the nitty griity.
Example of what not to do, from the most reputed forum on the Web. (with which I become more disenchanting daily!)
Look at this. 500 posts already. I didn't meticulously count all, but at least 350 are one liners of no merit or help. You try, on a daily basis, to plough through that lot to get a slight indication of help! - Totally unmoderated.

RUBBISH.png

Attachments

• RUBBISH.PNG
    RUBBISH.PNG
    51.1 KB · Views: 613
Reaction score
Yep. I've been quite happy with the help and conversations on this forum. I've been beset by a horde of gremlins during the months of beta testing Windows 10 but with help from everyone here I've usually be able to resolve things. All told it's a pretty nice place to hang out.

Reaction score
Updated very quickly. Haven't had time to test drive it. I'll report back tonight.

Reaction score
just updated to build 10240, had a new first screen to accept Windows Terms & Conditions, Control Panel/System now shows 'Windows edition' Windows Pro 10.1 ..... prior to the update it showed ..... Windows Technical Preview, also a new 'Windows activation' Product ID (key), no Technical Preview version (bottom right of screen),
maybe this is the first test of the 'Official Windows 10' release ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
just updated to build 10240, had a new first screen to accept Windows Terms & Conditions, Control Panel/System now shows 'Windows edition' Windows Pro 10.1 ..... prior to the update it showed ..... Windows Technical Preview, no Technical Preview version (bottom right of screen),
maybe this is the first test of the 'Official Windows 10' release ?

It has been said that this build 10240 looks pretty much like the final release.
Let's just say it is a "RTM candidate".
The watermark that used to be at bottom right has been removed.

Reaction score
My Surface 3 Pro upgraded very well indeed... Edge is lightening fast. It's like they have injected it with PED (Performance Enhancement Drugs) because it is very fast indeed. I'm very impressed. I haven't encountered any problems yet. Although MSIE 11 still looks dull and drab, is this because they want to push Microsoft Edge. Why not move MSIE all together and just have MSE instead, and download MSIE as an alternative browser.
Mine has crashed! I can't get it to boot past the Surface logo. I have tried to reset the machine with the restore USB, following the directions from Surface Support, but it won't boot to the USB. My machine is totally dead. I am using a back-up Gateway. I'm thinking about just waiting until after the 29th to get the RTM before contacting Tech Support, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Reaction score
It has been said that this build 10240 looks pretty much like the final release.
Let's just say it is a "RTM candidate".
The watermark that used to be at bottom right has been removed.

Yep I will agree there it is more of a RTM RC than a final release.

Reaction score
"'Windows edition' Windows Pro 10.1"

Can I ask you to confirm that one, Brett, just in case I perceive a difference on mine, which says
Capture.PNG

Maybe just a typo?

Reaction score
I just updated to 10240. I can't connect to the internet. I've been on the fast ring and never has this issue with other builds. Diagnostics says to reset the ethernet. My router is up and working, as my other two machines can connect just fine. I can't even get to by router via edge since it doesn't seem to see the ethernet card. Any ideas?
Did you install any drivers from anywhere else but Windows Update? If you did, uninstall those drivers, restart, and see if that fixes it. I did a clean install with 10240 and went like I normally do to reinstall the component drivers and ran into a few issues, one of which was the issue you're having after installing a network driver.

Reaction score
Problem upgrading to TH1 professional 10240

(Updating from build 10166)
After download of build (16 July) and noticing this to “prepare for install”
I had to leave. When back, here (after two hours), I noticed
On Windows Update - 32% “preparing to install”.
After another (firewood's chopping) hour 32% was still here.

After restart - this message was still here.

Nothing helped to resurrect process of updating.
Then I downloaded ISO of TH1 professional 10240
and installation proceeded flawless.
And I am logged in with my Microsoft`s account.

Every attempt getting back to “insiders” (activation) failed.
First - I get message “Your Microsoft account requires attention to get Insider builds”
Today - “Fix me” button returned “Stop insider builds... With license terms... ”

So - my question -
Am I disqualified from further participation in this Insider Program ?

Insider from 11/26/2014 (build then “Build 9879”)

Regards

Reaction score
I've been using various build for months on Fast ring, and had no issues at all. Until recently! Now on 10240 and my file explorer can't see my WD Cloud NAS. However, my Settings app now works! And my Canon printer driver is still useless. I also seem to get more vague, undefined glitches using various programs which I never had with earlier builds. I did a reinstall from an ISO on USB retaining my settings but it didn't help.I'm on Pro and in Updates it wants to install one for HP touch something or other. I can't see how to prevent it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So - my question -
Am I disqualified from further participation in this Insider Program ?
I don't think so.
Last I heard was that the Insider Program was still allowing new registrants and that builds and such would likely resume after the 29th.

Ask a Question