Build 14316 available now

Reaction score
Half way through installation. I am waiting to see if there is anything exciting...I read the blog and 99% of the new stuff is of no real use to me. That is, these insider releases don't do anything new that my 1511-10586 doesn't do well enough.
And as for the Bash shell I can see why developers might like it but if I want to use it I'll just load up a Linux machine.

But as I watch the machine installing they have at least got rid of that horrible clock like progress thing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do me a favor and when you're done and have time,
Hold the shift key and restart and test Safe Mode and see if you are having the same problem as me.
Screen flashing, Explorer apparently crashing and recovering over and over again.

Reaction score
OK So I hold down Shift and click Power and then restart and one of two things happen.

1. If I release shift the machine restarts and just asks if I want to continue to Windows.
2. If I hold shift until the restart starts , that is the Lenovo text appears then I get a screen of options none of which say safe mode.

I will replay again when the desktop machine is loaded

Reaction score
Desktop Insider machine. Basically the same as above...no sign of safe mode. I haven't used safe mode since Windows 2000 was new!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for trying.
Typically, holding the Shift Key on your keyboard while clicking restart from the power options menu is how you access any of the advanced troubleshooting options for Windows 10
Similar to this article here https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
Although some of the screens have changed slightly in the latest builds, still the basic same techniques.

Reaction score
It took me 4 attempts but it finally upgraded. The only things that I can see is that the mail app is a tad better, they did away with the big circle during the upgrade process which I thought was neat. The start screen no longer flips up when you log in.

Reaction score
Do me a favor and when you're done and have time,
Hold the shift key and restart and test Safe Mode and see if you are having the same problem as me.
Screen flashing, Explorer apparently crashing and recovering over and over again.

downloaded build 14316, tried the Safe Mode :

"From Settings
Press Windows logo key Windows logo key+I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn’t work, select the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen, then select Settings.
Select Update & security > Recovery.

Under Advanced start-up, select Restart now.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Start-up Settings > Restart.

After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you’ll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking."

I tried with no F4 or F5 held down (presumebly this starts in safe mode with no internet)
I tried with F4 held down (this starts in safe mode with no internet) [released F4 about 5 seconds after first blue window appeared]
both of these gave me the flashing problem & had to reboot into normal mode

I tried with F5 held down (this starts in safe mode with internet)[released F5 about 5 seconds after first blue window appeared]
this gave me safe mode with internet & no flashing

there was something in the backround with the flashing 'This app is unable to run' but I could not freeze the flashing to see which app was causing the notice

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Bret.
I tested and found that Safe Mode with Netwoking #5 seems to work fine but Safe Mode #4 presents with the flashing problem.
At least that is some new information, although it you were trying to use Safe Mode to remove a problem network driver it might present a problem.
Nothing I couldn't get around using task manager, but still both #4 and #5 should work reliably without all the scary special effects in plain old Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble. I am trying to stay away from builds, but the latest drew me in.

I have used you method (Shift and restart) on 10586.164, and on the current build under discussion.. Selecting either safe mode from the troubleshooting options, does as intended - no flashing in either mode. No idea why, but it does seem to be originating from a grahics problem??

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

Stumbled upon the flashing problem by chance by restarting the PC in safe mode with the "Minimal" selection from the boot options (without network). The flashing didn't stop until I killed the explorer.exe from the task manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks dokasz and welcome to the forum.
Yep, I've literally tried everything, including a clean install of the latest build from an ISO.
Safe Mode with networking seems to work just fine, but.....
Normal, everyday, plain brown wrapper Safe Mode still flashes with a bunch of what looks like this app can't run or start or something, and then finally the same message about a Fast Fail Exception and when I dismiss it, it starts all over again.
Kill explorer and all is well, although not a very user friendly interface but manageable, with a little patience.
As I recall, back in the day, pre-RTM I think I remember some issues with Safe Mode with one or two of those earlier builds as well but at some point they managed to sort it out.
I consider Safe Mode a very valuable tool when trying to get at a problem machine without a bunch of third party applications, processes and drivers getting in the way but for the time being, I'll just consider it "Unsafe Mode"

Regedit32

Reaction score
Trouble to you use any Symantec products on your computer?

Norton 360 for example?

Microsoft listed three 3rd party apps they believe causes Desktops to flicker, and recommended uninstalling those apps. One of which is Norton (aka Symantec).

In response to this Symantec have created a special repair tool to address the flicker issue, as well as a special uninstall/reinstall for their products.

If you or anyone else is using a Norton product then while this was created for once you boot to Desktop, it may be worth seeing whether it would also resolve the Safe Boot mode too.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v109267913_EndUserProfile_en_us

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble to you use any Symantec products on your computer?
Nope. just a plain vanilla install of the latest (and also previous, I might add) version of the preview build.
As I said I've tried several things, including testing immediately following the install, prior to any chipset or gpu drivers installed and then after driver installs, but prior to any software, which only consists of office 2016 and Acronis 2016 and that's it for software programs.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Nope. just a plain vanilla

Hmmm, such an unusual bug that it occurs in Safe Mode but not in Safe Mode with Networking.

If Microsoft cannot find a genuine solution for this you might as well buy some color cellophane and hang your computer on the Christmas tree in Safe mode. Pretty flashing lights :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Have you tried a complete clean out of the event log and a reboot into safe mode`There might be an indication then, as to what it is that will not load.

Ask a Question